Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elevator hinge lubrication

Default Re: Elevator hinge lubrication

Have you ever noticed how petroleums attract dirt? Especially motor oil. I understood that LPS 1 didnt do that so thats what I have used.
    Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    My build manual had a section on lubrication and it spelled out specifically the recommended lubricants for each type of joint on the aircraft. I'm wondering if you guys have seen this? I think it is in the builder's tips, or maybe the final inspection section.
    Thanks Jim... I had forgotten, but now remember seeing that during my initial review of the manual (a few years ago now!). According to the beginning introduction in the manual, there is supposed to be a little "oil can" symbol on the drawings next to bearings, etc. with notes to designate the proper lubricant. It turns out that there are very few of these shown on the drawings, and none on the horizontal tail surface drawings. However, in the Final Inspection Checklist section at the end of the manual, it has a list of recommended lubricants. Sure enough, LPS-1 is listed for the elevator hinges.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Kitfox SS assembly manual( rev.A , 05/11), section "O", final inspection checkout, page 100: elevator hinge, use LPS 1.

The rational for using LPS-1. I does not leave a residue to attract dust, which will add friction and wear the bearings/bushings.

Ralph

I believe that section in the manual recommends Tri-Flow for the rod end joints; it also is a lubricant that does not attract dust. LPS-1 and Tri-Flow pretty much takes care of most ongoing maintenance lubrication.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS