Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Seller beware

Default Seller beware

In a recent post alienwes made a number of allegations about the condition of a Kitfox I have for sale and of my honesty. I have to respond. We had many phone conversations over almost a month before he came to see the plane. We discussed the plane in detail, answered all of his questions. Addressing his charges:

#1. I purchased the plane in April 1998. Since then it has been hangared at HZD. Airport records will confirm this. The plane has never spent the night outside. The tire tracks he said he saw from the trailer to the parked plane are a mystery. The last time the trailer was used was Fall of 2004.

#2. Vert little if any. Has never been a problem.

#3. BS.

#4. Throttle is a McFarland, it has a tightening device, but it doesn't work if you don't know how to use it.

5#. BS.

#6. The oil cooler was purchased from Kitfox, not altered in any way. The mount was built by Merle Williams. Need I say more.

#7. BS. the oil hoses are in firesleeve, wonder how he saw any problem. No other hoses show any problems either.

#8. BS. I did use 3 zips, not 6,to secure a hose. The engine is very clean, no leaks of any kind.

#9. Duct tape covers a hole in belly where the bungees from the original gear went. He doesn't like duck tape on a fabric airplane-=geez!

#10.The gauge does in fact work, but has never been connected with the 912. There is a water[cylinder head] temperature gauge.

#11.The electric trim does not fully work. This was discussed before alienwes saw the plane..Trim is really not necessary to fly this plane, but the trimtab can easily be adjusted on the ground.

#12.Maybe he is talking about prop tape.. Ivo stainless edge tape looks pretty when first put on, but doesn't stay that way long. I have several replacement tapes which I showed him.

#13.Turn coordinater was installed slightly turned at build, maybe a 1/4 bubble off, not a problem and was discussed before he saw the plane.

The coolant has been changed at "annual". Never used anything but 100LL with no problems. The oil and filter have been changed every 30 hours since the engine was new.

He was never told that the plane looked like new. He was told of a very few places maybe an inch across where paint has been damaged. Overall the paint is bright and not faded. The seats are not damaged, no tears, some discoloring after 19+ years and 1800+ hours.

This plane has never been damaged. It looks good and flys good. Is it perfect, no of course not, its 22 years old.

Some buyers think they can get a perfect, new, airplane for a used plane price.These same buyers will complain and cause a seller problems for years to come. Alienwes never questioned the plane while he was looking at it. later on the phone he told me the plane was unsafe and he wasn't going to buy it. He did fly in it after inspecting it. go figure.

Bottom line--- thanks for not buying my plane Dude!

Seller beware.

Default Re: Seller beware

HA! I hear your pain. I would think if this guy saw my airplane when I winterize it I would get the same response back. I put clear plastic between the firewall and windscreen on down to the bottom of the front of the doors. Ha! I use duct tape to secure and wire ties. Oh and the duct tape on the bottom were the bungies use to be. HA! I've done that also. now I just leave it open. I use that to run my heater. Yup a plastic funnel on the back of the water cooler with scat tube off that on through that opening into the cabin. then a 90degree pvc fitting on that to blow on my feet. I feel my plane would be condemned also. have a nice day. I'm fly a piece of XXit also. hahaha
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Not wanting t get into the middle of a tiff here, but a few things come to mind:

1st, it would have been nice to post this on the same thread or at least quote Wes thread so others can follow along with the referenced numbers. Here's that thread: http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=8230

2nd, Wes mentioned in that thread and I quote: "I called the guy after we went to lunch and he refused to give the money back."

No mention was made by you as to how this was resolved which it seems to me maybe Wes might not have even made his post had the money been returned and was maybe just the "icing on the cake"! Was it clearly a non refundable deposit? If not, have you since returned his $1,000?

We all know that everyones opinions on condition are subjective and will vary greatly, but not returning a deposit is beyond my comprehension unless it was clearly non-refundable! Would love to know!

Have a great day,
    Greg

I agree with Danzer1 on this. Would be nice to know about the understandings around the deposit. If there was a clear understanding that it was a non-refundable deposit, than so be it. Otherwise, there is no reason to keep the guys money.

Rodney

still hear crickets?

The 1,000 dollars was to hold the plane until I was able to make the trip out to TN to see it and bring it home. He asked for the money to hold the plane in case someone else was to make an offer. I also paid $140 to have trailer tires put on the open trailer that came with the plane. I learned my lesson. Next time I will just pay an A&P to go look at the plane and verify it is in the stated condition.

Wes

I had a friend that had an A&P look at an airplane that was across the country...........A&P reported it was in great condition. When my friend got there, he found a different story. So having an A&P look isn't always the answer either. Different people see things in different ways, sometimes.