Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: seat belts

Default seat belts

This question is for a SS7 build.

I have the seat pans secured in place with the nutplates and I am about to cut the pan for the seat belts. The measurement that is called out for the lap belts just does not look right as the belts seem too high coming through the seat pan. I think we want the lap belts to come across my lap and not the stomach area. So am I not measuring right or did others cut the pan a bit lower for the lap belts?

I have also come to find the shoulder belt tabs welded to the fuselage were not drilled at the factory for the bolts, the manual says to ream the holes if needed, no mention about needing to drill the tabs for the bolts, anyone else have this in their build?

Default Re: seat belts

Hi Jim,

I believe I had to locate and drill my holes also.

I also thought the cut-outs might be a little high, but I decided they were good after fitting the seat cushions and sitting in it, FWIW. My cushions are fairly thick, in respect for my bony butt.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hi John.

Thanks for the reply, I do not have the cushions yet and I did think about that issue. Did you order your seats from Kitfox or build your own, or another vendor?
    I am flying a Rans S-7 right now and I had Oregan Aero build those seats and I am very happy with them.

I had some built by Oregon Aero also. They were expensive as heck. A quick story - I had sat on some in another Kitfox and REALLY liked them, so I called Oregon Aero to check out the price - the lady I talked to quoted me a price that I just about choked on! I thought about it for awhile, talked about it with my better half, and finally decided to splurge and get them. They make them to order and just wanted a non-refundable deposit up-front. So... they finally arrived along with the bill, and I couldn't believe it - the price she had quoted me was for ONE seat!! I hate telling this story... I feel so stupid. The seat cushions Kitfox sells look very nice, and I think I would've gotten mine from them if I knew then what I know now.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime

Yes, I had the same experience with the pricing but with the design of their seats to help save your back in a very hard landing or worse I choked and spent the money. I will say everyone who has sat in my seats really like them but I never tell them how much they cost.

Another question, how far below the door frames did you trim the seat pans, or did you keep them flush with the frame? I can see there is no way to have them flush with the very front or back top of the door frame. I will assume the seat cushions will take care of that look.

I tried to keep them even with the door frames, but it wasn’t entirely possible. I wish they hadn’t been “trimmed” as much by the factory or whoever made them. I think they look fine with the cushions in place, Jim.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime