Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hello

Default Hello

I am new here an love the discussions. I am about to go look at a KITFOX. It is supposed to have a ROTEX 912 and 200 hrs on AF and Engine.
    What should I look for. I have no idea if this owner built this KITFOX or if he bought it from someone already built.
    I am not well acquinted with KITFOX but an aware of their history in the Kit business,some 31 year record of quality.
    Although I have little info to go on
    WHAT DO I LOOK FOR??
    Serial numbers /Where on both airframe and engine. I will keep up up dated on what I find.
    Roger
    PS I am an old PP that is getting back to flyin after 50 yrs. I'm still here after 9 cancer operations. So I think its time to have a little flying fun. OH by the by I'm 76 yrs old and in excellent health.

Default Re: Hello

Welcome Roger. You have me by a year.

Many of the things you will want to look for are somewhat model dependent. I can tell you that in the Model IV, the serial number is on the triangular tab behind and between the two seats that the shoulder harness attaches to. The serial number might help you track the ownership, but won't tell much about how new the airplane is. My first Model IV was purchased as a kit in 1993 and first flown in 1998. My current IV was purchased as a kit in 1992. I bought the barely started kit in 2010 or so and its first flight was in 2013

I guess in general, I would look at the appearance to evaluate the attention to detail as far as upkeep is concerned. I have built two IVs, but have never purchased a flying Kitfox so others with experience there Will likely chime in on their experiences.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

More information is really needed for a detailed opinion. What model Kitfox? What model Rotax 912 engine? Etc, etc.

However, in general, it would be wise to use the same practices used when looking at purchasing any airplane. Get the "N" number and do a search for it and it's data from the FAA. Link Look for liens. Look for damage history. Inspect the logs for completeness and general content.

Depending on your mechanical aptitude, you can do a fairly thorough pre buy inspection yourself. If you are not so inclined, I would recommend having an A&P, not associated with the owner, do an inspection or evaluation of the airplane.

Don't get emotionally attached and be prepared to walk away. (this is the hardest part)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

He'll I'm 64 in terrible health. I've had probably 7 cancer surgeries, prostrate was the toughest, damned near bought the farm on that one. All the rest were minor. Good luck in your search.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Hey Paul Z
    I have bladder cancer. So many operations I have lost track. 9 I think and 1 brain aneurism that was about to kill me. I have gotten by with out complications. I am going to go look at a IV KitFox . From what I have researched it was bought in 1994 and finished and issued a AIRWORTHYNESS in 1996 . Its supposed to have a 912 Rotex but I have to look at it to be sure. Will keep ya updated. I go in for another operation Jan 11,2016. Piece a cake.
    Please take care and have a HEALTHY NEW YEAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    More information is really needed for a detailed opinion. What model Kitfox? What model Rotax 912 engine? Etc, etc.

However, in general, it would be wise to use the same practices used when looking at purchasing any airplane. Get the "N" number and do a search for it and it's data from the FAA. Link Look for liens. Look for damage history. Inspect the logs for completeness and general content.

Depending on your mechanical aptitude, you can do a fairly thorough pre buy inspection yourself. If you are not so inclined, I would recommend having an A&P, not associated with the owner, do an inspection or evaluation of the airplane.

Don't get emotionally attached and be prepared to walk away. (this is the hardest part)
    Thanks for your reply . I have the N number and the Model is a 4. and I don't know which 912 it is till I look. Its supposed to have 200 hrs. we will see. I appreciate all your info. I'm an old man now and want to get back to flying. I have a Hipps Reliant that I really got screwed on,bought on Ebay and it needed everything you can think of. I am almost finished with the rebuild but I have so much in it ,I will see a loss when I sell it,but it will be rite before the next owner gets it. Thanks again .Will keep you updated on what I find and whether I buy it or now.Thanks.

I hope I never have bladder cancer, the prostrate cancer was enough. The hospital infection I got from it was what almost killed me. Make sure you have a clear title. 914 is a great engine, even if it is only the 80 HP.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Welcome Roger. You have me by a year.

Many of the things you will want to look for are somewhat model dependent. I can tell you that in the Model IV, the serial number is on the triangular tab behind and between the two seats that the shoulder harness attaches to. The serial number might help you track the ownership, but won't tell much about how new the airplane is. My first Model IV was purchased as a kit in 1993 and first flown in 1998. My current IV was purchased as a kit in 1992. I bought the barely started kit in 2010 or so and its first flight was in 2013

I guess in general, I would look at the appearance to evaluate the attention to detail as far as upkeep is concerned. I have built two IVs, but have never purchased a flying Kitfox so others with experience there Will likely chime in on their experiences.
    Thanks HIGH WING
    I'm and old pilot with a couple hundred hrs,but I never finished my PPL because of a DIVORCE. I have done a Search of the N number and this appears to be a Model IV purchased in 94 and issued its first AWC in 96. Its supposed to have a Rotex 912 which without seeing it I will not know which 912 it is. It is supposed to have only 200 hrs on it and its been in the guys garage . I have no idea why he wants to sell ,but I hope to soon find out will keep ya informed.

Roger, the Rotax 912 ul is an 80 hp four stroke engine and an excellent match for the model 4 airframe. You can tell at a glance what Rotax engine you are looking at by the color of the 4 valve covers. The one you are looking will likely have black valve covers indicating an 80 hp.

Black- 912 ul. 80 hp.
    Green- 912 uls. 100 hp.
    Red- 914 turbo charged. 115 hp.

As stated before, we would really need more info to comment further. Can you find a Kitfox owner in your area that you could take with you for support?

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Roger, the Rotax 912 ul is an 80 hp four stroke engine and an excellent match for the model 4 airframe. You can tell at a glance what Rotax engine you are looking at by the color of the 4 valve covers. The one you are looking will likely have black valve covers indicating an 80 hp.

Black- 912 ul. 80 hp.
    Green- 912 uls. 100 hp.
    Red- 914 turbo charged. 115 hp.

As stated before, we would really need more info to comment further. Can you find a Kitfox owner in your area that you could take with you for support?
    Thanks Desert Fox 4
    I still have not been able to go look at this KF4 . The valve cover color indicators will be very helpful in determining what engine is in it. I don't think the owner will try and snow me but one never knows. That's the reason for all these questions. To draw as much info about KF 4's as I can to be prepared to ask the rite questions of the owner. Because of U I have looked up the FAA Registration and found the yr. purchased(94) and the yr of the first AWC issued(96) and the current annual is good till next year. I assume that being the builder ,he did the annual, which I know is completely legal as I have friends that have Gyrocopters that because they are the builder they do the annuals. I do have a Hipps Reliant that I'm working on to get airworthy.Although I have done most of the restoration on my own,I have had an AI and My FBO/Pilot/Dealer looking over my shoulder and giving me pointers and advise. One reason for wanting the KF is its ready to fly now. I'm 76 yrs. old in good health except for bladder cancer which only slows me down for a couple of weeks after surgery. Thanks again DF4
    ROGER