Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LRI Angle of Attack Installation

Default Re: LRI Angle of Attack Installation

This is a continuation of my efforts to fabricate an AOA indicator. The unit is in and calibrated, and just like one person commented, I find I don't have time to watch the gauge and look outside preparing for landing. Other than that it works fine. In fact the other day taking off heavy and having a really hard time getting the critter to climb, IAS was about 40 when I referenced the LRI indicator for best AOA and climbed out without issue.
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Chuck,
    Years ago with my first IV I purchased a LRI from a guy online. It consisted of a probe and a differential pressure gauge. I thought a lot then about it's visibility during full attention during the approach and made a reflective glass patterned after the heads up displays on military aircraft. I was going to mount it on the glare shield where I would be looking during final. Unfortunately everything is still in the drawer. I hope to finish the project some day and have to thank you for bringing up the topic and providing the pointy stick I so often need to get moving on something.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Well you're welcome, pointy stick and all ........
    Chuck Gruby

When the AOA reaches critical, don't you also get an audio warning?

Quote Originally Posted by mr bill View Post
    When the AOA reaches critical, don't you also get an audio warning?
    Not sure who the question was directed to, but in my case, there are no electronics involved, so no audible warning, just the AOA probe and the differential pressure gauge.
    Chuck Gruby

Trying something new. My probe is pretty ugly and I want to try this. Made a model of a probe with a CAD program and am trying to get my printer to make this in ABS. Posted the model at:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1198830

Quote Originally Posted by napierm View Post
    You are probably aware that an airspeed indicator is a differential pressure gauge. I made an LRI indicator using a 2 1/4" Falcon 0-80 MPH Airspeed. Use a loop of clear tubing to measure inches of water column. Just make a "U" with water in the bottom. Connect one end of the tube the to "P" input. Move the "U" so that there is 1/2", 1", 1 1/2", etc. difference in water levels in the tube. Tap on the Airspeed a bit so the needle will settle on the new reading each time. Write down the answers.

The front glass can be removed with a thin sheet of steel (1/32) cut to fit the grooves in the locking ring. Unscrew the ring and the glass comes out. Paint over anything you don't like of the face with flat black Testors paint. Put new markings on it with Florescent Testors paint (I used Green, Yellow, Red, White). Might want to practice a bit with fine brush 1st.

Put back together. Works just as well as the differential pressure gauge and mounts in a standard hole. I even put a light ring on mine.

Note it doesn't have to be perfect, it is just a visual reference.

Cheers,

Mark Napier
    Building a KF IV Classic

Neat, if that works, I would be interested in printing one myself