Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: BFR question

Default BFR question

Just out of curiosity, how does someone that ownes a single seat aircraft accomplish a BFR?
    Glen
    Kitfox Series 7
    O-200
    Garmin 396

Default Re: BFR question

rent the CFI's plane

Fly the single seat plane under the observation of the CFI on the ground. It is an acceptable practice. (I asked the question of a CFI once)

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Fly the single seat plane under the observation of the CFI on the ground. It is an acceptable practice. (I asked the question of a CFI once)

Ralph
    Actually, that is not true. From AOPA:

"29. Can I take a flight review in a single-place airplane?

No. Again, FAR 61.56 requires that at least one hour of flight instruction be given to qualify as a review. The term “flight instruction” is generally construed to mean instruction given to a person while in an aircraft accompanied by a flight instructor. Although it is always possible for the FAA to change its interpretation, the present answer to this question is that a flight review cannot be conducted in a single-place airplane."

I stand corrected. I questioned the CFI over 10 years ago and it just could be his interpretation of the FARs. I know that the FAA has redefined the process, it is no longer a BFR but just a Flight Review, required every 24 months (same thing) but a change of terms.
    Ralph