Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model IV Heavy Duty 912 mount

Default Model IV Heavy Duty 912 mount

How do I know if I have the heavy duty mount? My part number is 45062. I bought it in May of 2002. I'm not sure which mount this is.

Default Re: Model IV Heavy Duty 912 mount

According to the link below you have the heavy duty one.

http://kitfox.lazair.com/skystar/upg...ce_enhance.htm
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

This is what the "heavy duty" engine mount looks like without the motor and it's four arms.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

That's my part number and that is what mine looks like. So I guess I am good to go as far as the mount is concerned. Thanks for the help.

One more question. When I had my engine hung to fit the cowlings the firewall was off. Now that it is on, will there be issues with the rotax starter? I have heard some talk about cutting off the two protrusions on the rear of the starter as they will impinge on the firewall. My engine is a 912ULS bought in 2004.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by henrysamson View Post
    That's my part number and that is what mine looks like. So I guess I am good to go as far as the mount is concerned. Thanks for the help.

One more question. When I had my engine hung to fit the cowlings the firewall was off. Now that it is on, will there be issues with the rotax starter? I have heard some talk about cutting off the two protrusions on the rear of the starter as they will impinge on the firewall. My engine is a 912ULS bought in 2004.

Thanks!
    Henry,
    I'm not going to swear to it that I have the heavy duty mount, but it looks very close to the one posted below. You can take a closer look at the pictures on my website to verify. I did cut the tabs off of the end of the starter, but on my firewall, it still hit a bit. Yours may work out different as my firewall was bent out of one piece of stainless. As you will see my comments on the site, the relief I had to make was shallow enough I could have just pounded a bit of a cup divot area but I made a little box. If I remember right, I also re-clocked the power post on the starter so I could get to it. I think mine came pointing 180 degrees off which would have been a real pain getting to. Here are a few pics you can take a look at
    http://www.azshowersolutions.com/Engine6.html

Dan
    Last edited by DanB; 01-22-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

My firewall has a "box" recess built into the upper inboard portion of the right rudder pedal area. I can see by some of the posts that this was not always the case. I'm not sure if it is sufficient for the starter on my engine. I bought the FWF package about two years before the engine so they may not be totally compatible.

Thanks again for the assistance.