Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: uAvionics ADS-B Install Kitfox 7

Default uAvionics ADS-B Install Kitfox 7

Finally did what several others have done; and, installed an Echo UAT/SkyFYX ADS-B combo in our S7.

A few considerations for this choice.

1) Known good luck that others have had with this equipment.

2) Already had a good Garmin Transponder; and, the Echo UAT pings off the transponder antenna for Mode C data without any additional wires.

3) Uncomplicated installation - one antenna and cable for the ADS-B, one antenna and cable for the SkyFYX WAAS GPS (since I did not have a compliant WAAS GPS, power leads + and -. That's it.

4) Reasonably priced - $995 for the ADS-B unit and $450 for the WAAS GPS addition.

5) No need to mess much with the panel other than to add one 3 amp circuit breaker and switch.

6) Extremely small size and little weight - the components can be located in a variety of places.

7) WIFI for ADS-B in with both frequencies.

As you can see, the $ was about equal in weight to the equipment

What comes in the package including the Echo UAT and SkyFYX is shown in photo #2 The miniature Coax pigtail is a necessary part of the equipment because a normal BNC connector is way too big to attach.

A 12" by 12" thin aluminum sheet was riveted in for a ground plane and to provide support for the antenna. This location was chosen out on the bottom of the tail cone, port side, behind the baggage bay on the advice of the uAvionix tech due to the distance requirements from other existing antennas and the location of the main gear on a tri gear kitfox.

The Ucho UAT and SkyFYX were located on a small panel affixed to two of the tubes between the fabric and baggage bay near the port alieron rod behind the pilots seat. This location also made it easy to observe the LEDs for initial startup and setup by leaving the baggage side cover out of the way (recommended access per the instructions)

Although I don't have a photo, the GPS antenna (little black square with the black cord) was mounted with its magnetic base top center of the front carrythrough tube at the junction of the top tube braces - which made an easy run back down the tube mostly out of sight.

Running the test flight resulted in a 0.00% fail PAPR report of all parameters - couldn't be happier with that.

Also had a friend with his Ipad mini work the ADS-B in on the WIFI and that worked perfectly. Grief, there are a lot of airplanes out there!

I don't have my own screen for the ADS-B In yet; but, I can see that coming.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Default Re: uAvionics ADS-B Install Kitfox 7

Dave , very nice install, I think you will really like this ADSB solution. I like how you mapped out all the pros for the Uavionix package. I agree with all your points and the same reasons prompted my install of same. Have several flights on the equipment now and couldn't be happier with the results. Like you said its an eye opener to see how much traffic is around that we didn't see before. Have done a few short cross country flights recently and the in cockpit weather really helps with the situational awareness down the road. Plus we don't have to dread seeing how fast 2020 is approaching like all the Av magazines keep warning us. Bruce N199CL

so would the garmin 696 work for the gps out for the unit
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

As I understand it (which isn't saying much) this would not meet the mandate as the 696 is not a certified GPS source. I believe this is the root of the problem that Navworx ran into.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

thanks, good to know
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Dynon partnered with uAvionix for their ADS-B in black box, which I installed. I think Dynon's choice of this company says a lot for uAvionics.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS