Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 31 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

With the tail feathers and wings complete, I expected covering the fuselage would be a snap. But things didn't work according to plan. The idea was to use the straight factory edge of the fabric to overlap the existing fabric on the fuselage bottom. The technique of masking tape, two coats of glue, then quickly removing the tape, left a neat line of glue. Then I started test fitting the large piece of fabric along the line - using 1" green masking tape to hold things in place. The plan quickly fell apart with the fabric naturally bunched in places and too tight in others because of the nice curves of the fuselage. Being slow to catch on, I doggedly stuck to the plan and spent an entire evening not making any progress.

When things aren't working, walking away from the project usually helps. The next day I used the trick described in applying the top wing fabric. The part of the fuselage fabric that overlapped the bottom fabric had a larger than necessary area of glue. The side fabric was laid with a generous overlap of the bottom and rested neatly along the fuselage. A small iron tacked the fabric in place, followed by a hot air gun and pressure felt along the entire length. Overnight wait for the glue to bond, followed by air gun and hot iron to tighten.

Finally, the excess bottom overlap fabric was peeled back and creased along the clean, straight glue line on the fuselage bottom. Since glue was only on one piece of fabric, there wasn't the strong, glue-to-glue bond. It would take a lot of strength to separate the properly bonded fabric pieces and you will be able to create a straight crease. A sharp, short pair of scissors was run along the crease followed by the iron the secure the edge of the fabric. Finishing tape will complete the job.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

You’ve described pretty accurately how I did it too, Carl. Sorry it was a pain, but your work looks top notch! Keep it up.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Great work Carl !. Keep it up. I'm travelling a bit behind you and enjoy your thread.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Its looking good! I will be using Oratex also. I think I follow what you are saying, but is there any videos online showing this?

I'm not going to lie: I think I'm feeling a little Oratex envy.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Here is a video of the technique. The "artist" used a second layer of masking tape to have a thin, unbonded glue line. When the extra fabric is folded back, creased, and cut there will be a roughly 1/8" edge of fabric that needs to be ironed down. His extra glue line will secure that edge. I use normal, blue painters tape and don't dare expose it to the heat necessary to bond. So the tape is removed before ironing. This still leaves the 1/8" edge. It gets ironed down, held by the single surface glue. This will be covered by finishing tape. It's not really a matter of strength - just securing a clean edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y-zePW3uhE
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I wish Oratex had had some of those videos available when I did mine... had to figure out much of it myself.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Looks Great Carl. Im sure you enjoyed the part of gluing the fabric to the aluminum door angle as much as I did.

Yeah, like John said! It was a bit like being a early settler pioneering the wild western frontier.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

Carl,
    It does look really nice! I have also decided on Oratex and I am always interested in seeing how you guys are doing everything. I tried with the practice kit and I definitely need more help so more practice kits are OTW. It didn't take me long to figure out that the guys in the videos definitely have a talent that I don't. I also wish there were more videos on the application process showing and explaining different scenarios. Everyone one here has definitely been a great help.

Brett