Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Ivo Prop

Default Ivo Prop

Hey guys- I have been flying my model IV for a year now(had a lot of fun I might add) and now I am looking to get the cruise speed up. I have a 80 HP Rotax UL with a Warp drive and switched to IVO adjustable. My questions are this- the IVO prop I have is balanced I assume as it had the same numbers written on the blades- but it definately is not as smooth as the Warp. Is this normal? Any other suggestions that I should do to smooth it out? I thought I had the pitch as flat as possible, but at climbout I only was able to get 5200. From what I have read on here I should be able to see 5800- what am I doing wrong?? Any other alternatives I should look at besides IVO? I know Airmaster but that is kind of on the expensive side

Thanks-

Scott

Default Re: Ivo Prop

Try doing a dynamic balancing with a system like a DynaVibe. It can give you a really good idea of what's going on. There was one making the rounds amongst the list members a couple of years ago for a pretty reasonable fee. I think Dorsal is the owner.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Isn't 5800 RPM the redline for the 912? If you are turning that on climb out, you will be able to over rev straight and level fairly easy I would think. I seem to remember others saying 5200 on climb out was about right. Jim Chuk

PS I'm figuring you don't have an inflight adjustable prop. That of course would change things.

Hi Scott
    I have over 400 hours on an IVO ultralight with a 912 UL on a Vixen and it is certainly much smoother than the GSC
    .Mine is IFA which allows for 5800 on TO .
    I would think if you set a ground adjustable for 5800 on TO you may not get much speed increase without over revving.
    You may try a compromise and pitch for 5500 max straight and level.
    Good luck
    Don

If you can't get the blade any flatter than 5200 fpm on climbout (manual or in flight adjust) you probably have the wrong blade for your application. I know because I've been through that.

IVO makes 3 different UL blades. A low pitch for low hp, a higher pitch for higher hp, and a patriot blade. Only the low pitch will give you the rpm you need for climbout and takeoff with the 80 hp 912.

The only other option you have is to cut some off the tips, which will let the rpm increase. I wouldnt recommend shortening them any lower than 68 inches. Also, when cutting them down weigh them so you know they are all the same, and therefore "balanced". Also, make certain the stainless tape is all the same size and same length from the prop tip.

Oh, and fwiw an IVO is typically much smoother than a Warp based on my experience.

I went to the field today and checked my other Ivo to compare props and it looks exactly the same as the new Ivo I just got. Unfortunately I did not get either of these props from the factory- so I will call Ivo tomorrow and see what they say. Thank you everyone for the valuable input, I really appreciate it.

Scott

Scott,

I just revisited the IVO website to review their prop choices, and confirmed they have a 18 to 52 inch pitch, and a 35 to 70 inch pitch range. For a 80 hp 912ul you'll want the 18-52 pitch. Oh, and apparently the IVO" Patriot" blade is a 35-70" pitch as well, so it needs the 100 hp 912uls to be most effective.

Trying not to sound too negative, I don't think IVO themselves understand what I'm trying to explain. I've called them on my seaplane prop problem of not getting enough rpm on takeoff and their answer was to sell me the new Patriot blade, which would have been no better than the 35-70 " inch pitch

So after Paul's advice I went back down to the hanger with my tape measure and measured the blades. They ended up being 36 inches long, and the old Ivoprop that I had from last year was only 35. Also the new prop has some small cracks in two of the blades that just did not sit well with me, so I swapped out the new prop for the old Ivo prop. Pulled 5500 out of the field!!! Did not get a chance to really play with it as it started pouring on me as I lifted off so I just stayed in the pattern and put her back down. Definitely spins a lot easier with the Ivo so I am sure I will have to adjust my flying style a little bit.

I'm going to call Ivo again tomorrow and see if there is anything to the cracks- also recheck the balance on these blades because my old one is night and day smoother than the new one. Just want to say I really love this board- the knowledge and experience here is excellent. I don't post very much but I read all the time so thanks again guys( and especially Paul!!!)

I'm glad you are concerned about those cracks in your blades as that is probably the only known issue with an IVO. So DO NOT FLY blades with cracks between the bolt holes in the hub!

I love my IVO, but will not fly one with cracks in between the bolt holes. I like to think I'm a pretty competent pilot overall, but even Chuck Jaeger will have problems flying with half a prop

I'm really glad to know I can help. That is truly what this forum is all about.

To all of us that enjoy this forum, thank the moderators for their volunteer efforts, as they are a great group of guys that I am honored to call friends. And please patronize the forum sponsors as well as the guy that created this forum, as this forum is probably tne coolest accessory you can have for your Kitfox! Oh, and I have nothing to do with the forum, so this is unsolicited. I just feel strongly that collectively we have a vast amount of good information and experience to share that will help others.

Paul Seehafer

Ps - if you attend Oshkosh, please stop by the seaplane base and look me up. I love to meet my fellow Kitfox pals.

I'll look you up Paul. I have never gone to the sea plane base before as I have been so busy on grounds for the typical two days. This time I will have Five days in a motorhome in Camp Scholler. I will make it to the water this year.
    Eddie