Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Brake RHS Issue

Default Brake RHS Issue

G'day All,

Kitfox IV 1050. I've got a little issue that you guy's might be able to advise on before I start pulling brake cylinder apart. I've been catching up on a bit of maintenance and happened to be playing around under the panel. I tried the pilot side brakes right and left with my hand and although a tiny bit spongy due to a bit of air I suspect, after couple of pumps they came up nice and firm. Then I tried the brakes on the rhs. Left nice and firm but then the right just flipped all the way over. No pressure at all despite the fact it had been working on the last flight some weeks prior with an instructor in right hand seat. Pilot side is still working. Would I be correct suspecting a seal of some description has let go inside the cylinder ? Is it a simple generic o ring or a specific seal that would need to be ordered ? I haven't found a diagram of the insides yet. I'm assuming they are the original brakes supplied with the aircraft kit. Maybe someone can tell by this photo I have of the cockpit. Sorry I don't have better photo but I'm away at the moment and just happened to have this photo on my phone. Been mulling this over wondering if there's something I'm going to need to order. Just one other thing, is there anyone here in Oz that can tell me where to find one of those big syringes so I can pump oil up into the system from the bleed nipple on the caliper ?
    Cheers, Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Brake RHS Issue

Looking at your picture, the master cylinders on the pass side are the straight cylinder without reservoir. The reservoir is on the pilot master cylinders. There could be air in the line between the two cylinders.
    Here is a link to the Matco Manufacturing website on installation and repair of their products. I don't know if you have Matco but hopefully this will give you an idea of the typical master cylinder.

Ralph

http://www.matcomfg.com/MasterCylind...cs-tp2-21.html

Looks like Matco’s.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks fellas. As the right cylinder on pilot side is connected to the right cylinder top on pass side and then on from the bottom of that to the caliper I wouldn't have thought air is the issue as the pilot side is still working. If there was air in that system wouldn't both be the same ? I was thinking maybe one or two o-rings are had it or a seal in the pass cylinder just allowing the piston on that side to go back and forward through the oil without compressing anything. Looking at some of the parts diagrams for the Matco's you linked to, looks like there is a couple of o rings and a seal. I guess it'll be just a matter of identifying exactly which Matco model it is and pulling it apart to what needs replacing. Hopefully just an o-ring I can pick up locally.

Glenn, I'm fairly sure I bought 100 ml syringes locally on eBay.com.au. I'll try and track down the supplier and let you know. Not sure if they have larger sizes. Photo below.

Edit: Just checked and I didn't purchase through eBay Aus, but maybe talk to a local vet and see if they have any. Otherwise, "google" it ... sorry couldn't help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David47; 07-05-2018 at 12:23 AM.
    David
    SS7 Builder

"O" rings in the cylinders can and do fail without warning, but the good news is these arn't anything special.I have done both my foxes using rings from an assortment kit with good results,don't skip the seal on the pushrods as these can be dry but still let air in which will cause grief.A 5 litre garden weed sprayer is what we use at our field it makes bleeding a breeze.

Thanks David & Dusty. Found some pretty flash ones on ebay especially designed for oils etc albeit a little pricey. I like the garden sprayer idea especially since I have a nice clean one in the shed. Dusty, did you attach your garden sprayer to the reservoir end at cylinder or go from the other direction at the bleed nipple on caliper ?

I just bought a syringe from local ag store CRT I think,for 75 cents!

Attach to the bleed nipple,pressurise the sprayer,loosen the bleed nipple and wait for the fluid to appear at the top of your reservoir.I jiggle the brake pedals on the passenger side as there can be small bubbles trapped there.Depressirise the sprayer,push and lock the peddle down,tighten the nipple,wipe the excess from the top of the master cyl and your done,

Thanks for the Ag store tip. Didn’t occur to me, not having anything to do with animals as such. And thanks Dusty, that sounds like a cracker idea. I’ll give it a shot.
    Cheers Glenn