Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 36 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: First, Build a Shed

Default Re: First, Build a Shed

This two part Loctite product was recommended for brake and fuel line fittings. Works great so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

Thanks for the lead Carl. Seems both of my two bottom fittings on the calipers leak. guess I am heading out to the garage to see if my break fittings behind the firewall are doing.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Bleeding brakes is one of my least favorite jobs. I always seem to have something go wrong. Glad you finally got it done.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

When a brake pedal is completely disengaged, there will be a gap between the bottom of the rudder pedal and its riser tube. Without the rudder cables connected to the rudder, the gap I'm pointing to will close as the pedals move towards the firewall. When they are fully forward against the firewall, the gap will have closed and the riser will effectively be applying light pressure on the brakes. Pump till you are red in the face but brake fluid will not flow through the system with even a slight brake pressure. Stand by your fuselage, move the pedals back and forth and watch how the pedals move in relation to the riser tube.

That yellow tube with a blue tip is a broom stick - not included in the standard SS7 kit.

I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to figure this out but John McBean had the answer in a quick phone call. The Kitfox factory is a great resource when you are having problems. Why, I'll bet John is relaxing behind his desk right now, sipping coffee and waiting for a builder to call with a question.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

I came across this problem many years ago while observing a friend trying to bleed the brakes on his RV6. We found that the plunger on the master cylinder had not fully extended, pulling back on the toe brake extended it and it the rest of the job was smooth. What happens is both ports have to be open otherwise the fluid cannot flow through and displace the air.

Ralph

Ralph, ..... Greenleaf ID (soon) ?. Are you moving in next to J McB and PL ?
    David
    SS7 Builder

Carl,
    Sounds like my kind of luck. Glad you have it figured out for the rest of us. Sounds like the contractors there are just like the ones here.

Yes, we will be moving there. We bought a lot last September and are working on design and budget... hope to break ground on house and hangar before winter here north of the equator.

We were living in Northern California running our own business. Sold everything to retire to Idaho. Found Greenleaf Air Ranch doing an online search for retirement locations, the neighbors were a bonus.

Ralph

The few changes required for the delivered 912iS have been done and I'm anxious to hang the engine. Trying to patiently work through mounting all of the firewall items while they are easy to access.

Learned flaring and bending fuel lines is an art. Setting the aluminum tubing in the obvious position, flush with the face of the clamp, results in a too large of a flare for the pretty blue nuts. Tried guessing how much to pull the end of the tubing away from the face for a smaller diameter flare. After a few failed practice runs, resorted to simply sanding down the larger diameter flares till they fit the nut. A light smear of grease on the flare cone makes it easier to turn the flaring tool and makes a prettier face on the flare.

Very happy with the RIDGID 41162 377 Flaring Tool...37 Degree SAE from Amazon for around $110.
    Carl Strange
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Oratex, G3X

You know what Carl? I think you have officially closed the 6 month lead I had on you when you started. Im nearing completion of the panel wires and your real close to having that engine install finished.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X