Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 53 of 120 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103 ... LastLast

Thread: EFWD Build

Default Re: EFWD Build

Good to know Eddie. Just make sure you check every harness for proper pinouts before you use them. The most critical wires are the power and grounds. Once you get the harnesses installed do a systematic powering up and testing of all of your avionics. I checked for power and ground on every plug before I plugged it into the LRUs.

Now I am really glad I made my own, but I work at a place that has an avionics shop and all of the right tools.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Yeh, this stuff is a bit daunting in my opinion. I have a connector I need to remove and I could not even find what tool I would use to remove pins. So, I am greatful that the shop has set me up with what pin removal tools I need to address this issue with any of the connectors they are providing me. It isnt all bad with the shop. Once I get in touch with them then they always accommodate me. Problem has been, getting in touch. I tried to look through the Garmin manual to find out what pin tool I should buy but I was not able to find it in there. I will definitely verify power and ground leads on everything.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eddie,
    Check out the AeroElectric Connection on the Matronics email list. There is a lot of good info on avionics/electronics pertaining to aircraft. The main poster is Bob Knuckles. He also has a webpage and does seminars. He can be found here: http://www.aeroelectric.com

As to pins and release tools, they are specific to the connector and pin, not the avionics manufacturer (i.e. Garmin). There are as many types of removers as there are connector manufacturers. There was a recent thread on the Aeroelectric forum on pin removal. Even with the correct tool, it can be an art to remove the pin without damage.

Hang in there, you have progressed this far, you will get it done.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph. Funny how valuable words of encouragement become when your in a predicament. Much appreciated.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I have found the sub-d pins to be easy to remove. I think I got my favorite little tool for that from Steinair. One side is for removing and the other for inserting the pins I believe. While we’re discussing this topic, I had a couple of bad pin connections on a harness I got from the same company as you, Eddie. The wires pulled right out of the pins. I didn’t trust any of them after that, and just installed all new pins myself. They did have them in the right holes though.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Aaaahhhh! don't say that John. LOL
    Anyhow, just got home with the complimentary tools. I have pulled the pins with ease. All the pins intact, whew. now on to pulling the cable through the spar to the magnatometer.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I had a couple of bad pin connections on a harness I got from the same company as you, Eddie. The wires pulled right out of the pins.
    That's really disappointing to hear. I've done a bit of pin crimping in my day, but I don't consider myself a professional. With a fairly inexpensive tool, it's not that hard to do, and it's easy to verify a good crimp with a tug on the pin. Pretty unacceptable in my opinion, and a real bummer to pay someone to do work that you have to re-do.

Eddie, hopefully they are using the additional time to do yours right.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Brian, they aren't.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

When you consider any decals, N-numbers, etc. etc. do not overlook Aerographics in Colorado. I ordered some Custom American flags and in the end I didn't think they worked well with my scheme after all. Marilyn was very gracious and took very good care of me. They make very nice products. I ordered different style flags.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I used them for all the trim on mine - stripes, N number, artwork, etc. It worked very well on the Oratex.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime