Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Designing trailer rails

Default Designing trailer rails

All you guys who own portable hangars (trailers). Can you provide some designs, pictures, ideas on how you put together the inside of your trailers?

I own a model 4 speedster and don't "currently" have bush tires.

Things i'm trying to learn about:

Tail wheel rails/guides
    Main wheel rail/guides
    How do you ensure it's lined up?
    Do you have any cooling or heating?
    Humidity control?
    What winch do you like?
    Anything that you think is a must have or great to have?

I'm mostly trying to figure out how to get the plane in and out quickly and easily.

Default Re: Designing trailer rails

For some idea's look at the sticky "loading and unloading kitfox ss7 on trailer". I have some pics there. I purchased an aluminum u-channel from a local trailer fabrication shop. My wife made a "top hat", with foam inside to easily slide over the vertical for the flaperons/wings to rest against. For an enclosed trailer, any winch should work. Harbor Freight often has one for $50 ( i can't speak to it's quality).
    Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    For some idea's look at the sticky "loading and unloading kitfox ss7 on trailer". I have some pics there. I purchased an aluminum u-channel from a local trailer fabrication shop. My wife made a "top hat", with foam inside to easily slide over the vertical for the flaperons/wings to rest against. For an enclosed trailer, any winch should work. Harbor Freight often has one for $50 ( i can't speak to it's quality).
    Ken
    Interesting, How did you make sure that the front wheels line up when you place the tail on the trailer?

My biggest issue is that when I line up my tail wheel if the front mains are slightly off it can hit as it gets pulled in. I am trying to figure a way to get the mains lined up.

I thought lining up the mains would be a bigger problem. I taxi up to the trailer and just eyeball it. Sometimes i have to adjust slightly before putting the tail on. Then there's about a 25% chance the mains will be off about 2 inches. If so, i lift the tail by hand and jockey it forward and sideways. Only takes a minute. Then i crank it the rest of the way.
    For an enclosed trailer i think i would run some kind of extensions off the ramp that you flip down so you know if your lined up before you get too far in.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind