Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 26" Airstreaks

Default Re: 26" Airstreaks

The Goodyear blimp tires are a good option for those of us that don't live in the mountains as while they aren't as soft as the AK Bush tires, you'll probably never wear a set out as there is a lot of rubber on them. And yet they still give that big tire bushplane look along with more practical off and on airport capabilities.

Guys in Alaska have sucessfully used the Goodyears for decades in the bush. Search the subject on Supercubs.org and you'll find lots of testemonials. Again, they are not as soft as the AKB's, so if you really like to land in the super gnarly places the AKB's are the best. But the Goodyears still give you the big tire footprint, while also providing almost unlimited pavement landings. And they are A LOT LESS MONEY.

So before someone asks, the Goodyears are approximately 24.5 inches tall and 9 inches wide on the rim inflated to 10 lbs. The Goodyear is significantly larger than even the biggest 8.50's when compared next to eachother Also best to run the Goodyear tubeless as they are known to spin on the rim when pressures are run low, destroying the valve stem and causing a flat.

And in my opinion, the Goodyear looks really good against a Kitfox as it seems sized more appropriately to the airframe than many of the bigger AKB's (I have a set of 29 AKB's and they look HUGE on a Kitfox 4 - too large imho. The 26 AKB is better, but the Goodyear looks even better relative to the aircraft size).

Default Re: 26" Airstreaks

With a fresh coat of Herculiner on them, they are ready for the rest of the summer.

ReTreads.jpg

I looked at the Goodyears a couple years back at OSH. Much heavier and stiffer carcass (6-ply) tire and 10 pounds per tire heavier, than the 26" Airstreaks. If a person was going to spend $725 per tire on the GoodYears, the jump to $995 for (new) Airstreaks is really not that much more. Now if you can find a set of used ones like I did, all the better!

More to come on this topic this winter...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos