Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Stupid Builder Tricks

Default Stupid Builder Tricks

I thought I would start a new thread just for fun. I know most of you have done dumb things while building your aircraft. ( I know some of you personally!) Now is the time to confess. I will start.

First Engine Start.
    When the day arrived to start the engine on my Series 5 (912 ULS) I had my son there to video tape the event. My wife, June, and the two dogs standing by to watch. I went through the normal procedure (burping the engine, fuel valve on, priming, master on, etc) Flip the “mag switches” up and hit the starter. The starter turned the engine, but would not start. Made sure fuel valve on etc, and tried again. Nothing. Finally ran battery down. Sent everybody away and spent the next five hours tracing wires, redoing a couple of connections. Time to try again. Nothing. Flip the “mag switches”
    down and set there a few minutes wondering what could be wrong. For no reason hit starter and about jumped out of my drawers as the engine roared to life. “On” on a toggle switch up is always up,right? Well the “mag switches” are kill switches and up closed the circuit. Turned the switches upside down in the panel and all is well! DUH!

Very First Work on the Airplane.
    The first thing I did on the plane was fit the ribs on the elevator to the metal frame. I took a dowel and wrapped a piece of sand paper around it and proceed to sand for a couple of hours. Got maybe three ribs fitted. This is going to take forever with the elevator and horizontal. In the middle of the night I woke suddenly and the word Dremmel immediately came to me. Finished all the rest of the ribs in about an hour the next night.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Default Re: Stupid Builder Tricks

When I was rigging my rudder cables the first time, I was anxious to sit in there and wag the rudder so I swaged the eyelets at the rudder. Wagged the rudder then realized I had forgot to slide on a swage to connect the passenger side rudder cable. Shucks! I decided to get more cable and come back to it.
    Got my new cable and was thrilled to get in there and wag the rudder ...then realized I left the sway off again....
    Used cable worked great for making a hoist for the hay lift in the barn!