Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Mod. IV horizontal tail V support

Default Mod. IV horizontal tail V support

Hi guys, I discovered one of the "V" struts that support the horizontal stabilizer has a rusty thread on the top forward end. I had hoped the fitting had a male thread and be able to just change the rod end, but per the manual it is part of the strut. So I called Kitfox to buy a new one and found they are discontinued. They came out with a four piece kit. Has anyone got any info on this kit, there is no photo in their catalog. Makes one wonder if there was an issue, or did they find a less expensive way of doing it? If there was no issue with the old style I would be interested in a pair of good used struts.
    Thx
    jay

Default Re: Mod. IV horizontal tail V support

I made my own V-struts for the mangy. No adjustable threaded fittings.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

My take on the design was to allow for the vertical adjustment of the leading edge as designed. The rod end was the length adjustment for the affected strut. As I recall, the factory welded a socket head cap screw into the end of the tube to provide the threads. A better solution is to use threaded weld studs - not as brittle. Available at ACS. A local welder could do the repair.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    My take on the design was to allow for the vertical adjustment of the leading edge as designed. The rod end was the length adjustment for the affected strut. As I recall, the factory welded a socket head cap screw into the end of the tube to provide the threads. A better solution is to use threaded weld studs - not as brittle. Available at ACS. A local welder could do the repair.
    Just cut off and weld on a new one? Not a bad idea except for the powder coat. That stuff is not easy to get off. We have a very aggressive sand blaster at work and it didn't do anything but dull the finish. I found a wire wheel a better option, but even that took a lot of time. I often wonder why they didn't go with the round rods in the diamond shape like on a Piper Cub.
    jay

There is a Permatex gasket remover that takes off powder coat quite easily. Maybe someone remembers what exactly it is?
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Permatex Gasket Remover is exactly what its called. Comes in a blue aerosol can.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I took a real good look at the struts today. It does not look like a bolt welded to the end of the strut to me. It's just too clean and smooth. I'm leaning toward new struts, but I wish someone would share some photos. I just want to make sure they will retro fit to my old Mod IV.