Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Conversion during fly off hours.

Default Conversion during fly off hours.

Hey all, I was just sitting here thinking (trouble I know), but after your bird is flying and while still doing the 40 hour fly off, can you switch between the tri or taildragger or do you wait until you are released?
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: Conversion during fly off hours.

I think you could if you get that specifically approved as part of your test plan, best to ask your DAR or FSDO.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

My take on the 40 hour test phase is that whatever you do becomes part of the operating limitations. If you fly in both configurations during phase I then you won't have to notify the FAA of a major change if you decide to change later. During the 40 hours you are essentially writing the book on your new airplane.
    Lowell

Very good question Stan, one I had not considered. I am getting close to doing my 40 hours and I am in tri-gear config. My plan was to get comfortable flying the ship and change to conventional at a later date (after my 40 hrs). Has anyone had a problem with FAA doing this? As those at the factory have gone back and forth on a few planes...What is the scoop on this?
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

My thought is that it would be a "major change" and require FSDO approval after the 40 hours have been completed. In my case I changed the prop on my plane and had to file a major change and revert to Phase I testing for 5h. If you're within the initial 40h Phase I, I can't see the difference in limitations between the two.