Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 vs 7

Default 5 vs 7

Recently retired I want to get back into flying, I am a low time PP but want to fly sport due to medical issues. I have only had conventional gear flying . so here is my delima. if you could afford either a KF5 trike or a SS7 taildragger which would you buy???? I like the larger SS7 for my size , once built can another owner that purchased the taildragger convert it to trike?I am not afraid to start from scratch with a kit but I still want to fly while building then.

Default Re: 5 vs 7

hi gary,
    i'm 5 months into a ss7 build. i'm fortunate to have a cherokee that i fly while i build. the kitfox is convertible to a nose gear after it has been built; buy the nose gear and move the main gear back. i'm building mine as a tail dragger. i used to have a champ before the cherokee and i like the little extra challenge of a tail dragger, and i think the plane looks so much better in that configuration.
    i don't have any experience with a model 5.
    ken

If purchase price is no issue then go for the 7. I'm almost certain it wouldn't be a problem to convert a conventional gear one to a trike, but it seems a bit of a shame.

You would also have a better engine mount set up than the 5. The 7 has a Kitfox + Rotax ring mount set up allowing an air box, increased carb security from the inlet manifolds being the "normal" way round and a sensible range of C of G is easier to achieve due to the extended distance from prop flange to firewall. The 5 has a dynofocal mount meaning the carbs have to be on the reversed inlet manifold arrangement. Although not a major problem, it isn't as nice as the 7 mounting system.

The benefits of the 5 are purchase price (compared to a 7) and the climb performance which, with similar engine and prop installations, should be better than a 7 (from what I have experienced).

Either way, it's a nice decision to have to make!
    Last edited by Monocock; 11-29-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

Akarmy on this group purchased a 7 and converted it from a trike to a tailer, I think there may be some photos in his album. If you want to put skis or big wheels on you may want to leave the 7 it as it is. The 7 is nice in that it gives you the gear option now and in the future.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Hi Gary
    Your situation sounds very similar to mine. Two years ago I found a Model 5 Vixen with 912UL TT E&AF 110 hours direct from the original builder. It came with all manuals and work sheets. I believe the 5`s have the same size cockpit as later models, although Vixens are not convertible.
    Aircraft like these can be found at less than 1/2 the cost of a model 7 completed kit ( I cannot understand why, bad economy I guess). It would be very hard to beat these for value. The big plus is, I am 71 and flying every week (over 300 hours now)instead of building until I am 75 and maybe unable to pass the medical.
    There have been some great deals advertized over the past couple of years. For the owners sake I hope used prices improve!

thank you to all who responded, part of my question should have been is. If I buy a 7 tail dragger would it be better since I have to have some dual time anyway is to get my tail dragger endorsment at the same time I build up my hours to get current again? I don't know what to anticipate the diffilculty in getting current and tail endorsment at the same time. or just get current in a trike and then work on the tail. ??? Time is no problem just getting current. either way I WILL FLY AND OWN A KITFOX!!!!!
    thank you
    gary

I would do exactly that. Conventional gear is not more difficult than nose wheel and you would save any uneccesary devaluation of the aircraft by keeping it as a conventional. You'll also get the best out of your aircraft.
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

I would disagree with everything said in the post above. But everyone has different views!

A crosswind in a conventional gear handled in the correct way (crab on final and wing down in flare), is a lot more straightforward than in a trike.

I too fly both and given the choice would say that having the small wheel at the back is genuinely easier.
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

Try getting a little stick time in a tail dragger and see what you think. I find the trike easier but in the air I don't care. Again the nice thing about the 7 is you can change your mind, then change it back if you want
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Buy/build the 7 Super Sport if able. It is the nicest Kitfox I've ever flown and you can convert anytime between the two gear configurations very easily.

If instruction in a Kitfox is needed, I know of no better investment than seeing Paul at Stick & Rudder in Boise for some dual in a model 7 Super Sport. The best Kitfox training available anywhere!
    You can satisfy the insurance demands and get your tail dragger endorsement at the same time.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear