Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show us your custom on board storage places

Default Show us your custom on board storage places

Good afternoon,

Several builders have map boxes built into their Instrument panels, some have under seat storage bins for tools, etc.

I am sure folks have a lot of other creative storage places they have built into their kitfoxes for all the gizmos we need to keep handy while flying/traveling.

What unique solutions have you guys arrived at for storing/stashing supplies, tools, gear, etc. on board - photos would be great.

As an adjunct to this - what do you consider essential to bring along when you take a trip/go camping, etc.?

Default Re: Show us your custom on board storage places

Glovebox from sheet ABS and AL angle stock.
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/pic...pictureid=2425
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

This shows my Classic 4 baggage sack from the rear. The custom part is the yellow pouch to hold the airplane's paper work.

I customized the installation of the bagage sack with some adell clamps and parachute cord to hold it from any movement. There is a tie down like shown on each bottom corner.

The screw that holds the adell clamp on the bottom of the sack goes through a 1/4 inch plywood sack bottom and another adell clamp on top of the plywood bottom of the inside of the sack. Each of the four adell clamps on the inside of the sack have about three feet of parachute cord attached to them to tie the luggage down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

for the cargo bag storage area will there ever be a need to remove it for maintenance in that area?

Thanks
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Similar to Finn's glovebox setup...

Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

TJ
    It looks to me by the pictures that yours is attached by velcro on the top? Is that right? How much weight can our have you put in there? If you do a hard pullup woth added G force do you worry the velcro may let go? It looks very much what I would like to do with mine. What is the material and you put quarter inch ply on the bottom?
    Thanks

Yes the top attaches with velcro. This is the sack skystar sold for the model 4. I don't think the velcro would pull loose as the force on the velcro would be in shear and is almost impossible to pull apart that direction. I did wonder about it though. I burned a few holes with a needle nose soldering iron and put some 75 pound zip ties through the holes and around the tubes just for added strength and to prevent the velcro from starting to peel apart. look close at the photo and you can see them.

I have the baggage plackered for 40 pounds maximum cargo weight. I think that is per the factory. I had 40 pounds of sand bags in it during my flight testing. I didn't do any 60 degree angle banks with it though.

The bag material is cordura. I think this sack is still the same as is available in the www.Kitfoxaircraft.com catalogue. The bottom I made from 1/4 inch ply wood.

Here's a picture of the inside. you will notice a slit I made in the back of the sack on the left side of the picture. I made that to stick my finger through to arm the ELT. I haul my kitfox on a trailer so turn the ELT off for that.
    Last edited by t j; 11-25-2011 at 05:53 PM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

hi guy's my storage is not very custom but i like to use the k.i.s.s. method as much as posable. just an opening in the panel with a lip all around and tilted down about 15 or so degree's for climb out.
    also a pic. of the fuselage after bringing it back my other shop were we are doing the painting.still have a wing and miss. parts to go.

just a picture of my seat boxes

catz,
    What is the black flange around the boxes?
    Do you think a latch of some kind is a good idea (in case of a flipover)?

Jim