Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Forced landing 11/06/11

Default Re: Forced landing 11/06/11

hi guys after looking at the pic,s of plugs i would say that the right side carb is very rich but the left side carb is running extremely lean to the point of fuel starvation. the ground strap is showing signs of discoloration from high heat and the porcelin insulator is clean. not as clean as we would see on a race engin after a clean cut but those plugs tell me to look at the float levels in both carbs.
    it looks like the float is to low or there is trash in the needle and seat or trash in the high speed jet of the left carb.
    i would also check the float leval on the right carb. hope this helps

Just a thought... have you tried bypassing the fuel pump and running on gravity feed alone? Without the pump it should run on the ground just fine. Do not fly it this way! This is for a test to see if the fuel pressure is too high and if the carb has any problems such as a float valve problem.
    If it runs OK without the pump, look to the float valve.

If it still has a problem, reconnect the fuel pump and swap the carbs left to right to see if the problem follows.

You're going to find the problem, it's just a matter of eliminatiing everything step by step.

JP

I agree it looks like the left is running lean from the picture of the plug which can cause difficulty reaching/holding higher RPM. The main jet could be plugging with a bit of material, you could pull the jet and blow it out with a little compressed air or use a thin wire...be careful not to scrape the inside of the jet. Hope you find it soon.
    Last edited by tahquitz; 12-16-2011 at 07:28 PM.