Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empty Weight

Default Empty Weight

Weighed the Super Sport yesterday, after 3.5 yrs of building. Haven't completed the CG yet. Empty weight is 753 lbs., which is not unusual except that I have a Continental 0-200 on the nose. I was expecting over 800# so I am extremely excited and scratching my head hoping I didn't forget something or make any mistakes when I weighed. Double checked the level & weighed twice just to be sure. Checked the scales for calibration and went over the plane again just to be sure everything is there. Only thing I haven't done is paint the cowling. But don't think a quart of paint will add much in weight.

The 0-200 has a lightweight starter & generator with a Whirlwind ground adjustable prop. No fuel pump, just gravity feed (just like every Cessna 150). Exhaust system from a Cessna 150.

Basic panel with A/S, VSI, T/B, & Alt. No installed radios, just a handheld. Plans are for a small Becker or Xcom at some point. Using the Grand Rapids EIS 4000 engine monitor. No lights, day VFR only. No wheel pants or speed cuffs on the wing struts. Used poly fiber system and did not go overboard with heavy applications of paint.

Didn't set out to build a super light airframe but I was attentive in trying to keep weight down. I am hoping the CG will not require extra weight in the tail for balance. The battery & ELT are on a accessory tray in the rear so that should take care of the CG, but I will find out after I complete the balance calculations.

After I am finally flying, and if I can stay out of the plane long enough to add some things, I intend to add the speed cuffs to the wing struts & add 8.50 tires. Even with a few additions, I think I can keep the empty weight in the 800# range.

Hope to have the inspection completed within the next week. If everything goes according to plans, first flight in a couple of weeks. I'm pumped, & nervous. Can't believe it's almost time to fly.
    Danny

Default Re: Empty Weight

Very impressive, 35 lbs less than mine and I have a Rotax. Hope the inspection goes well and don't let the butterflies get to you
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

danny , once the airplane starts flying , its really difficult to force yourself to take it out of service to do the projects that you had put off while you were building . i try to do them in the winter , but never fails , as soon as i pull the cowl off the sun comes out , rain stops and the wind quits .
    this should be an exciting time for you , enjoy it .
    there is a weight and balance program on the kitfox site in the tech faq section that works pretty good .
    good luck and have fun
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

"...The battery & ELT are on a accessory tray in the rear so that should take care of the CG, but I will find out after I complete the balance calculations...."

Hi Danny,

Do you have any pictures of your battery mount location?

Thanks,
    Tommy Walker in Alabama
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    Very impressive, 35 lbs less than mine and I have a Rotax. Hope the inspection goes well
    I know, still concerns me that it came out that light. I will probably check it one more time, just to be sure.
    Danny

This is just behind the baggage compartment. There are tabs there to mount a base to. I think it was probably meant to be for an extended baggage area. I did not cover the section above. Instead I used aluminum sheet for an access panel & antenna attach points.
    Danny
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Danny, Glad to hear you are reaching the end of build line. Weight number is impressive. Keep us informed of your progress and good luck when the first flight comes.

Dick B

danny,
    that's great news. i'm interested in finding out how the whirlwind prop works for you, and your flight specs. keep us posted.
    ken

Danny,

I’ve read many a post that touts, “build it light.”
    It gets me thinking just where to save weight.

I’m following the instructions and bolting on more and more pounds. Some is unavoidable and some like the false rib kits are optional. Sure, I can try to use less glue, or maybe one less washer or rivet; but just where am I supposed to save weight? It’s not like there are a lot of places you can install lightening holes. I can't leave off those heavy lift struts.

Your engine weight savings are obvious.

Where do you think you saved weight on the airframe?

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

It ain't much, but metal lock nuts weigh half as much as the nylock type.