Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: radiator hose leak

Default radiator hose leak

The hose fitting on the left side of the radiator is oozing coolant. I have changed hoses, removed the radiator and had it pressure tested, tried gasket maker between the hose and fitting, tried narrower screw clamp, all to no avail.
    The bead is a little small but I cleaned it up good and tried it again this morning and still had a little bit of coolant after my morning flight. I would appreciate any pictures of the hose run from the spider to the radiator. I have an old skystar s-7 and I understand it was changed. All other fittings are good. I would like to find some spring clamps instead of the screw type. Any ideas except "get a jabaru" will be appreciated.

Rich
    Rich
    Kitfox Series-7 taildragger
    Rotax 912ULS
    SuperCub Wannabee

Default Re: radiator hose leak

If your using that Evans waterless coolant, it's like an oil. Clean it off the inside of the hose and off the fitings, MEK works good. Then put it all back together and use a hydrolic hose clamp if you need it. you can torch them much better than the simple automotive type.
    Roger

Thanks for the reply, Roger. I am using Evans although it doesn't seem to effect the other fittings. I am not familar with the hydraulic clamps. Can you give me a web address for the clamps you are talking about?
    Rich
    Rich
    Rotax 912ULS
    SuperCub Wannabee

Ya thats the thing, everything is fine until you get a leak and the Evens gets on the fitting and hose interior where it touches the fittings, then, it leaks more because it leaked before. That is why you have to get it all off the parts if you want them to stick together mechanically very well.
    As for the hose clamps, I buy mine off the shelf locally, any place that makes hoses will have them, just check the yellow pages. The clamp part is pretty wide, and is made from a solid strip of steel which has the screw tracks formed into it, thus you can really screw them down hard.
    Hope this helps.
    Roger

Thought I had a leak and it turned out to be the cap.
    Last edited by Peteohms; 05-30-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Roger,
    Spring clamps will probably solve your problem They keep constent pressure on the hose as the temp changes. The screw clamps are good at one temp.
    I have fought this same problem for awhile now so when I changed out my hoses and went to spring clamps (wide ones like the new Rotax engines use)...no leaks .. except at the few hose conections where I couldn't easily get a spring clamp to fit. I have to tighten them up from time to time
    I got my spring clamps at Graingers. I don't remember the size but they were MUCH cheaper then buying from Rotax !
    Dick Maddux
    Fox4, 912UL

The Leak is FIXED!. Was talking to a fellow pilot who mentioned he was an ex Navy CB and worked on many different engines while in Danang, Vietnam. I asked him to look at the fitting and he found some imperfections on the back side we had all missed. He sanded the heck out of it and it hasn.t leaked since. Go Navy.
    Rich
    Rotax 912ULS
    SuperCub Wannabee

Great news, and thanks for the tip.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive