Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Filters, Wing Tanks

Default Re: Fuel Filters, Wing Tanks

Hi, my name is Phil and I have a Kitfox 3 and installing a 2180 VW. Can you tell how you vented your header tank and to where as I am not sure as I have had a number of people with different ideas. Thanks.

phil , not sure how the III are arranged with the gas tanks but the model IV vents the header tank to the inbd side of the right wing tank .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Thanks Chuck, how is it plumbed to to right wing tank

the header tank has a fitting high on the right side and the vent hose runs along side the fuel hose from the right tank up to the tank . the fitting is forward of the tank outlet and the fittings for the sight guage and high on the tank . sorry this is the only picture i have with the fittings location . ofcourse the tank is upside down in the picture and has plugs in the holes , the vent fitting goes in the far right hole .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Quote Originally Posted by djmc4344 View Post
    I have been experiencing unequal flow especially from the left tank it seems to draw down much faster than the right take. I think it may have something to do with filters I'm using.
    I have same problem, it's nothing to do with filter, as i have only one filter after the Y junction of the 2 wing tanks, i read a lot of of posts from kitfox and other ultralights owners having the same issue. What is appearing after a lot of test is that we aren't good pilots ... it's because we don't fly with a perfect symmetrical piloting try one day to fly all the time with the slipball perfectly centered and you'll see that your wing tanks will have the same consumption.

Yea I've heard that as well and I think now maybe thats the case, I'll watch the ball a little closer. I also have a heavy left wing that I'm trying to fix, that may have something to do with it also.

Strange we have exactly the same problems i have to hold the stick strong and the plane wants to turn left. Some flaperons' setting i think.

Does anyone have a fix for the fuel flowing out of the header tank vent, we have a check valve vent on a kitfox 2 sticking up threw the lexan near the right wing but it seems to trickle out fuel especially when flying especially when tanks are full

Thanks Willis

Marshawk -

Is the "vent" end of this header tank vent line directly exposed to the free-stream (boundary layer) airflow outside the aircraft?

I'm thinking some combination of thermal expansion (not much heat up B.C. way this time if year as I recall, though) or fuel weight with full(er) tanks (a hydraulic-type action exacerbated by wing dihedral) or boundary airflow siphoning action...just guessing here without knowing how you've got it plumbed.

"E.T."

Yes Dessert Fox 6 you are correct, the vent end is exposed to the boundary layer airflow on top of the cabin near right wing. Your right about the temps up here although today it was a bomby 4 celcious which is probably about 38 F.We do have some awesome ski flying conditions though I think it is the siphoning action you mention that's drawing out the fuel. We have a plastic check valve sticking threw the top of
    the cabin and this is were it trickles out .Wondering if I put a 90 degrees plastic tube facing forward somehow on top to blow the fuel back down,would that create any problems?

Thanks Again