Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Average Costs

Default Average Costs

Now that I've picked a paint scheme and done things backwards, what are the costs associated with a S7? I figured just to let a Cessna 172 sit, the minimum per month would be $500 (hangar, insurance and annual).

SLSA:
    LSA:
    Annual:
    Insurance:
    Opperation/Hour:

Thanks,
    Travis
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WingingIt74; 09-15-2010 at 05:33 AM.

Default Re: Average Costs

Travis, mine works out to about $50 / hr. No hangar, no annual (I perform) and $10 / hr engine overhaul fund. Insurance cost not included.
    Vic

Thanks!

What should an annual run?
    Last edited by WingingIt74; 09-15-2010 at 09:43 AM.

The annual conditional inspection on my Avids ends up being $240. 4 hrs @ $60 per hr. If you build and get the repairman's certificate, you can do your own. Take care, Jim Chuk

Thanks. For some reason I have $3000 stuck in my head, I wonder if that's for a Bonanza A36. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy my Grandpa's first plane, early 70's Cessna 172, or build a KitFox. Trying to compare apples to apples.
    Last edited by WingingIt74; 09-15-2010 at 02:58 PM.

My last annual cost $160. Done by an AI.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Flying a 1959 172A and my last annual was $2800. That included:
    • Reaming the valve guides, lapping the valves, new springs, etc. on two cylinders
    • New ignition harness
    • Replaced rudder bushings
    • New exhaust riser for one cylinder
    • Added a vernier mixture control
    • and repairs of a few minor squawks
    Labor was $1800, parts $1000.
    RobS

With my Avids, the AnP gives me a list of things to fix and I do them myself (that is if he finds anything to fix) I should have mentioned another cost that you asked about: insurance. I pay $377 per year for liability ins. Take care, Jim Chuk

I was talking with a pilot friend of mine about a Cessna. He told me, if you go to a dealer about it is about $2500 and if you use local mechanic at your hanger or his about $1000 per year.

Why is a KitFox so much less, just curious? Is it because it's less complex and a newer aircraft?

A quick story. A freind was giving rides in his Aeronca. On one landing to drop of and then pick up another passenger there was a rattle in one of the wheels. A check found that one of the clips that helped secure the brake rotor was missing. I asked him if he had spares in his hangar. His response, "I can't fix this, it needs an A&P".

So, in short, you can do all maintenance. You can follow your A&P around and note discrepencies and fix them yourself. In my opinion, there should be no labor charge in the annual condition inspection. Then if you build yourself, that part will be a parts only deal as you will do the rest including the log book endorsement.

Lowell