Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: My name, my plane and my award!

Wink My name, my plane and my award!

Hi All,

I am a new member to this site so I wanted to introduce myself and tell you about my plane and my Arlington experience. My name is John Kuzmic and I have lived in the Nampa/Caldwell area since 1981.

I am a member of the Caldwell area EAA 103 group that took on the project to build 13 Kitfoxes beginning in late 2001. There is quite a story to tell about that experience and if you corner me some day I am sure I can tell you details that would make you wonder about how we made this work.

In the project I jockeyed for the last position because I wanted to have the most building experience and I wanted to work on my own plane outside of the group experience. You see, I have long dreamed about building my own plane and I was finally going to get that experience and I wanted it to be by my hands as much as I could make it.

So in the summer of 2005 after we finished plane number 12, I formally excused all of the project members from being obligated to work on my plane so I could have the experience of building it myself. Of course there were many times when I needed more than my two hands to complete some of the details and that is when I would call on some of the project members to give me a hand.

I made a fair number of modifications to my project and this took extra time but since I was only doing this once in my lifetime I had definite ideas of how I wanted this plane to be equipped and how I wanted it to look.

Now I took a fair amount of ribbing over all the changes I made and the time it took me to complete the project. Things like my fairings, my interior upholstery, my panel, my 914 engine, my prop, my hidden hinges on the cowling and oil door, my color scheme and of course my 'eagle'. But I never waivered from the picture I had in my mind of how I wanted this plane to look.

Perseverance and my retirement in April 2010 were the prevailing drivers for the completion of my dream.

I received my airworthiness inspection (from the FAA and not a DAR) on June 14th, 2010 and had my 40 hours of testing completed by July 3rd. My first cross country was to Arlington 2010 with the intent to have the plane judged. To make a long story short, I won the 'Reserve Grand Champion' for the 'Custom Kit Built ' category.

What a great experience for beginning with the project build in November of 2001 to the culmination of this award at Arlington in July 2010. Now I am thinking that I will take my turn in dishing out the ribbing.

I have created a picture album of a few select shots.

War Eagle.
    Last edited by War Eagle; 07-17-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Default Re: My name, my plane and my award!

Beautiful plane War Eagle.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

War Eagle,
    Welcome to the site and congratulations on your accomplishment! You have one great looking bird...certainly one to be proud of. Labors of love like yours is what drives us all to finish these kits and you got alot-o-luv!
    Well done!
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

congrats , wish i could have seen the plane live , i was up there on thursday . is it just me or is something wrong , when i go to the album all i get is squares where the pictures are supposed to be but nothing in them
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Congrats. on the build and of course the award. Well deserved.
    The cowling looks great with the hidden hinges.

I've added your album to our Members Photo Album Directory on the main page.

No need to struggle finding any members albums Av8r3400. All are one click away in the directory. All new albums that I have been notified of are highlighted with red lettering along with the date of placement.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

John it looks amazing. I really like the eagle. We met a number of years ago at Arlington. I think your group had a chainsaw engine on a blender if I'm not mistaken...congrats on the award...well deserved...I would like to nominate you for a "stick to it" award for helping all your friends with theirs before completing your dream..a sign of great character

Hi Wannafly,

Yes your memory is serving you right. I am finally closing out the big group build and the chainsaw blender is something that many remember where ever we go.

Thanks for your comments on the plane.

Your plane looked very nice and I enjoyed our quick chat about it at the show. Here's a pic I snapped on the showline!

Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com