Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: insurance

Default insurance

Who has the best rates for insureing my kitfox that will be finished this summer? I will be a student pilot and would like some info please help Ed

Default Re: insurance

My dad wanted to get a KF last year. He does not have a license and would have been a student pilot. To make a long story short, Avemco and Falcon both told him they would not insure the airplane with him as a student pilot and the airplane being a taildragger. They said he had to have something like 50 hours before being considered. There are other insurance agencies but he dropped the idea at that point.

I was in the same situation as Sdemeyers dad when I bought my Kitfox. I called the big boys and the agents who answered had no desire to work that hard to find underwriting. Found insurance I think it was through Hallmark Ins. They required me to have 10 hours dual. Which wasn't a problem as I needed that training anyway. They required anyone not listed on the policy to have a ppl with 500 hours 100 tail wheel and 5 in type. I think 0 time experimental taildragger pilots scare underwriters. My agent name is John Shimer with Aviation Insurance Resources his # is 877-247-7769. Give him a call he was able to help me.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Heck,

I have 28 hours of tail dragger time, and I was told I needed 10hours in type if I were going to get a taildragger. I figure I would fly 10 or so hours at risk!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have purchased my insurance for the 2 years that I have owned my Kitfox IV Speedster through the EAA program which uses Falcon Ins as the broker and the actual insuring company has been Global. I have a little over 700 total hrs, 100 tailwheel of which about 70 is in the Kitfox. I just rec'd my renewal and the premium has increased to $995 and this is for liability and not in motion only coverage. This is about what I paid the first year, but last year it was about $100 or so lower and was hoping it would decrease again this year instead of increasing. Quotes on full coverage the previous years were about $500 more and I haven't asked this year. I realize that the cost of the premium is affected by a lot of factors such as where the plane is located/hangar'd, age of pilot (I'm 58), pilot rating (I'm still a private pilot with current medical), and previous ins claims (I did have a C172 destroyed inside a hangar during a storm). Previous to owning the Kitfox I could get full coverage on a C172 valued at $35k for less than $800/yr and I insured a Cherokee 140 in 2007 ($30k) for less than $600/yr., so I have been disapointed at the cost of insuring the Kitfox. I would appreciate knowing if what I'm presently paying is consistent with what others are paying and if anyone else has a better deal ??? Thanks, Paul Perry
    Kitfox IV Speedster
    912UL/IVO Prop

I'm 34 ppl with 165 total hours 150hrs tailwheel no claim history. My insurance company is specialty aviation underwriters.

$1,000,000 Combined Single Limit Including $100,000 per passenger sub-limit
    $390
    Medical Payments: $3,000 each person
    $Incl.
    Physical Damage: $27,000 Deductibles: not in motion $100 ; in motion $1000
    $945
    Other Coverage:
    $
    Total Annual Investment
    $1335
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Quote Originally Posted by kitfoxnick View Post
    ...Hallmark Ins. They required me to have 10 hours dual. Which wasn't a problem as I needed that training anyway. They required anyone not listed on the policy to have a ppl with 500 hours 100 tail wheel and 5 in type.
    Not sure how long ago that quote was but it appears a bit different today. Requirement now for a student pilot/Kitfox taildragger owner is 15hrs dual flight instruction in MM to include 20 landings to a full stop prior to solo, then remain under CFI supervision until receipt of Sport Pilot (or PPL) Certificate. Requirements for 'other pilots' (including CFI as named pilot) are: PPL,ASEL,TW with 1000TT/250TW/25MM respectively.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Wow. I didn't realize that insurance was so expensive. I know insurance is great to have but I don't believe that I can afford it. Do most people have insurance on their Kitfoxes?

I just renewed for something like 985 for year with hull of 25000. Of course I think all my flight time helps.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I'm currently shopping for liability only, as my first flight is coming up soon.

I'm 48, 115 TT, current medical/flight review, and my ship is a tri-gear.

I'm going with Avemco, at $698 per year for 1M in coverage ($650 after 40 hours) in large part due to positive feedback on other sites.

The other reason I went with them is the fact that I first tried Falcon (EAA). I waited 2 weeks after I submitted my info to them, hoping to hear what companies would cover me. After 2 weeks of hearing nothing, I left a message. Not returned. Left another message 2 days later. Not returned. So I called Avemco direct.

I'm sure there are lots of companies out there...