Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Runway, How Long is long enough?

Default Re: Runway, How Long is long enough?

aww ..you can borrow my road any day Steve just be prepared,.. you need to land uphill 20% grade,watch out for the power lines.., 4 wheelers.,,horse back riders and the UPS man other then that,.get to the top of the hill ,..I'm on the left

it will make a bush pilot out of you quick

Chase

I have my own strip that is about 1450' long with trees on the ends. I fly my Jabiru powered Avid MK IV from it all the time. I also have a real light Avid B model with a 532 rotax that is kindof in storage now that I have the MK IV flying again. Started out flying ultralights from the field after I compleated it about 7 years ago, and Avids about 5 years ago. My Avid with the Jabiru doesn't get off the ground as fast as a lot of Kitfoxes or the B would, and I don't fly anyone else with me from my field, but probably could, I just don't want to take the chance of not clearing the trees. The B model is usually at least 200' high at the end of the strip as it's rate of climb is almost twice what the Jab powered MK IV does. It is really nice though to be able to go flying on a moments notice. Sure it's a bit of work to mow, but I have a trailing mower that I pull with the lawn tractor and so I get about 6.5' of cut per pass so it's not to bad. Being retired helps to. It is really nice haveing the plane right there to putz with also. I'm always tinkering with something on them. As far as your question about your location for a strip, my B avid would work on the 1000' strip and the MK IV would work on the 1250' distance for clearing the powerlines and trees. Takeoff toward the open land wouldn't be a problem with either plane with 1000', landing over the powerlines the 1250 would be better, but either way or distance, have a spot picked out where if you're not down and rolling out you pour the coals to it and go around for another try. If it was my land, I would have a strip on it. Take care, Jim Chuk

well good on you mn ben ..just shows all those hours you got flying your kitfox paid off ,..we are talking a potential zero time kitfox pilot here

If you have clear aproaches, 1000' should be plenty, but he said he has powerlines and trees on the one end. How much field gets used up clearing the trees and then loosing the altitude that involved? Maybe now he only has 500' left. Maybe he's a bit fast and so he floats a bit further....... As far as taking off and clearing the trees, if you normally just make it by a little bit, one day your won't quite make it and then the fun is over for that day. Take care, Jim Chuk

If your model IV is made light with a 582 say 500#, maybe you will be off in 250'. But most are not light, my yellow plane is a fat 650# empty, without my fat butt in it.

On the grass strip at my airport, I can break ground at ~400' and clear the fictional 50' obstacle in maybe 600-650'. That would make clearing a power line from a 1000' strip a mighty close affair. Possible, but not comfortable.

Approaching to land is even more touchy. Every 20' of altitude over the fence will easily cause the use of 100' of runway. Over a power line, that will use at least 200' of runway, now you are down to 800', knock off 200' for the trees at the other end and you have 600' of "real" runway. At my best I can do it in ~400' on the grass at the airport. Now factor in a little fast from diving down past the lines and you are in the trees.

Again, doable, but way too close for comfort for most people.
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 01-29-2010 at 06:02 AM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos