Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil cooler installation photo

Default Oil cooler installation photo

I'm in the process of installing a new Oil cooler on my IV with round cowl and 912 UL. I'm thinking of making a bracket out of heater hose with one end bolted to the gear housing and the other bolted to the cooler.

Before I do this, I thought I would get an idea of how others installed their cooler. Do any of you have photos of your installation?

Thanks,
    Scott

Default Re: Oil cooler installation photo

I have mine going off the front just under the prop. John has all the setup for doing this.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

locating the cooler under the prop shaft works pretty well . the mount brackets on mine are attached by the forward engine mount bolts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Hey cap01 ~! Quick get a net~! looks like an octopus is trying to eat your motor~! ha ha just kidding ,.that is some serious duct work there.
    nice job~!

Chase

surprising it works really well . kinda amazing how all of a sudden it all comes together . for the cold weather i made a sheetmetal cover for the cooler . between the cover and the thermostat it ran pretty good in the cold weather we had last month .
    the engine came with a fitting at the oil pump that was too small for a 1/2in or metric hose , what ever that is , 12 or 13mm. had a difficult time locating the correct one . received a couple from lockwood and airwolf that were incorrect also before finally finding the correct one .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

being from yelm, you don't need all that. Just the RU2700 filters from K&N. Also I will add, you should no matter what, search out someone to balance the engine, prop combo. I just did mine and I always had fuel smells and such when taxi to the hangar, now it's nice and smooth and fume free. Much better in the air, no more vibrations.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

what do they do when the balance the eng and prop ? what did the eng balance have to do with the fuel smell in the cabin ?
    smoother has got to be better
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

The balance is done by putting a device on the engine. Dynavibe http://www.rpxtech.com/rpxweb/Dynavibe.asp is the unit I have, there are others. Now understand this. If the engine is vibrating badly, which mine was, than the fuel in the bowls slosh around, causing fuel to come in more. At least this is what was happening to mine, the plugs are cleaner and the smell is gone, yaaa.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

the balancing thing sounds like a pretty slick deal . only a little expensive . sounds like balancing a fan on a ge cf-6 only alot quicker . now i can see how you got the gas smell , must have been really rough running .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I tried real hard to find somebody in my town to do the balancing. What a joke. I went to the big airport with my rv and they tried to balance it, but the equipement was outdated and stopped at .5ips. This machine does down to 0ips if you want to do that. I have two planes and I figured I'll check it on the oil change or every other change, takes only a few minutes to hook up. So for me it's well worth it. Oh and most people charge about 300 a pop.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop