Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kitfox engines

Default Re: Kitfox engines

Hi bbryan, since it's a new engine and you have it I'd install it and fly it for a while till you can upgrade, My model III kit was produced in 1992 first flown in 1993 I purchased it in 1997 with 20 hrs flew the 582 to 297 hrs without any real problems(I like you never truly trusted it but it run fine). At that time I installed the HKS 700E that was the best money I've spent on the plane, don't believe for a minute that the 582 is a cheap running engine or that it is simple and cheap to overhaul, regular maint counts up and a true overhaul is not cheap and operating beyond the Rotax TBO is like playing with fire it can be exciting but in the end you'll get burnt. The operating cost of the HKS is less than half of what it cost to operate a 582, a true overhauls is less than half the cost of the 582 plus the HKS TBO is now 1000 hrs. The HKS 700E is a true 60 hp engine that burns approx 3 gph, runs smooth and quite have an electrical system that is quite so you can hear and talk on the aircraft radio and the installation weight is 7 lb max more then the 582 with the proper propeller it preforms as well as the 582. I now have 400+ hrs on the HKS and would never go back to a 582.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    If you keep your eyes & ears open and talk to people you will find many used 912 engines for a lot less than new prices. They are out there but you need to dig. I just heard about a low time 80 hp takeout that was sold not far from me for $5k.

To all the guys running 582s and 503s more power to you. But, I will not fly behind (or in front of) a 2-stroke.
    dang Larry and I thought you were a tough guy

If you take the time to educate yourself on the 2 strokes, and know how and why they run there is no reason that you should think they are any less reliable than a 4 stroke. 99.99% of the problems can be traced back to operator error. If you know how to run your 2 stroke it will bring you home just as reliably as a 4 stroke. Like C5, I fly mine in terrain you wont be walking away from if you go down, and I never think twice about it quitting. Life is too short to worry about all the what if's. Just enjoy it and deal with issues WHEN they arise.

Snakeman

In my EAA chapter there are people with thousands of hours of 2-stroke time. They all have multiple engine-out landings.

Of the 912 flyers and their combined time, there have been no engine-outs. There may not be tens of thousands of hours on the 912's but there hasn't bee a single engine failure in the 1-2,000 total hours...

Sorry. I won't fly with one.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Agree with John. Everyone has a story both pro or con to support their position on 2 vs 4 stroke engines but the numbers (sheer numbers of engines that is) speak for themselves. Like John Muir (the engineer, not the naturalist) used to say about Volkswagens, they might take a little more TLC but if you run clean fuel in them, keep the temps in the correct ranges, don't let them run out of oil or fuel, etc, the stat's are in your favor. The original intent was for reliable, inexpensive flying and I think that's been achieved.

Hey John. Do you know a guy named Gary Herbst there in Greenville? He's an old friend.

Av8rr3400,

Now Larry, I'm in your EAA chapter and flew my 582 grayhead for 12 years (600+ hrs) and the ONLY engine out I had was when I forgot to put one of the fuel caps back on and ran the motor out of fuel. Matter of fact, when I purchased my used 912 I let it sit in my shop for 8 months trying to decide if I wanted to remove a fine running reliable engine for one of unknown reliability. ( I did make the change and am very happy with the 912). Usually the folks most opposed to two strokes are the ones who have not flown them.

JimS
    Last edited by JimS; 07-23-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Jim-- I stand corrected and humbly ask your forgiveness.

Power to weight with a 2-stroke is unbeatable and undeniable. However, I still do not like or trust 2-strokes. I guess that's just my position. My direct experience is limited to ~100 hours of Kawasaki 2-stroke time in a MXL Sport with two engine outs. I sold the plane because I didn't trust the motor. Snowmobiles, dirt bikes, chainsaws all have reinforced this opinion to me...
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 07-23-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos