Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Measurement Question

Default Measurement Question

I am trying to fit up the cowling for my Super Sport without the benefit of the engine or motor mount. Can anyone give me the dimension from the front of the firewall to the aft of the prop hub for a Rotax 912 ULS?

Thanks,

Dick B

Default Re: Measurement Question

Dick,

I don't know if it can be done with the one measurement. The early Model IV manual had a template to make an engine mock-up that I used then to fit the cowl. I am particularly interested in your question because I am almost finished fitting my cowl to my 1992 Model IV-1200. It was a particular challenge because it was a 582 cowl that was to fit around a 912 with an engine mount that moved the engine forward a bit. After first starting by fitting the main cowl, I discovered that what I had to do was put a fixture on the prop flange and then mount the forward cowl to that and then work aft. The cowl fit around the prop hub is, for all practical purposes, the only measurable point on the application and miss that and it will be apparent forever. All the other parts can be moved around to bring everything together once that part is in place.

Unless you have an exact thrust line and all you need is the firewall to flange measurement, I would strongly suggest you wait. By starting at the doors and moving forward, It just gave me the opportunity to do everything all over again when I found that I couldn't get the forward cowl to line up with the prop flange and spinner. Lots of frustration and even more fiberglass work.

Lowell