Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: rudder tab weld is off center

Default rudder tab weld is off center

hello everyone,
    once again i appeal to the knowledge of this forum. the base(lower) tabs on my rudder are not welded 90 degrees to the rudder. the problem this has created is that i need to remove material from the rudder stop for left rudder(to get 25 degrees), but i have to add material to the other side so that my rudder doesn't hit the elevator for a right turn. i've read the thread about john adding a bolt for adjustable rudder stops, but i only need the added material to the right side. i think the easiest solution is just bonding a piece of flat metal to the right side. suggestions?
    ken
    p.s. i was going to send a picture but i haven't figured out how.

Default Re: rudder tab weld is off center

There are several solutions.

You can bond an extension to the existing tab on the fuselage. If you do, I would back it up with rivets or some form of mechanical attachment. The rudder gets banged from stop to stop in normal operations and you could knock a bonded tab loose.

You could add bolts to the rudder stops and trim back the tab on one side that might be a bit long. Bolts have the advantage of being in compression and a failure is unlikely.

You can weld on an extension to the fuselage and grind the new tab to fit.

Whatever method you choose you will only do it once for the life of the aircraft. Choose what is compatible with your comfort level.

JP

Maybe this is a dumb quetion but are you certain the rudder to v-stab gap is correct? Having it too large will cause the stops to be too short?

the gap is correct steve. the lower tabs on the rudder were definitely welded crooked at the factory.
    thanks john for the advise. i think i will cut extra material and add adjustable bolts.
    ken

Or you could fix it right instead of putting on a bandaide. If you are going to be welding on stops, why not just cut the tabs off and have them welded in the correct spot?

I talked with John McBean on this about a year ago. The fuselage tabs and rudder stops are sized for aircraft without the speed tail. Adding the fiberglass fairings requires the rod ends to be extended. That makes the the spacing different and rudder throw excessive,

Here's the fix I did showing the bolts added to the rudder stops. The tabs on my aircraft were unchanged. The rudder is pushed to the left so you can see the lowere rod end in the photo.

It's as simple as drilling two holes and slip in the bolts. The bolt heads become the new stops.

JP
    Attached Images Attached Images

that's awesome john. and your mention of the speedster tail answers the other question i had about the tight fit.
    ken

Rudder stop bolts from a Cessna 152 have a nice wide head. There was an AD in 2008 or 2009 that lists the part numbers. Just a thought.
    Thomas
    A&P and future Kitfox builder