Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: inspection

Default inspection

Hello all. I started building a series 6 in 2000 and am getting close to the finish. Yes I know 11 years is a long time but circumstances and excuses won't help now. I didn't keep very good build notes and am wondering if I was supposed to have any inspections before now. I also heard that the FAA does not do free inspections anymore, is this also true? I made minor mistakes during the build but I was able to correct all of them after having someone else look over my work. I didn't expect a show plane on my first try but I'm very proud of what I have done so far. I'm using a 1981 turbo Subaru ea81. I had the heads built at a shop that specializes in building drift cars. I asked for a cam regrind and 35 thousandths milled off. He wouldn't do it, he said that would stress the bottom end. What he did was port and polish and a 5 step valve grind and gave in to milling 10 thousandths off to which he guaranteed 35 more horse power. Besides using a Subaru instead of a Rotax, (too late now and too much money, I only have $875 in the Subaru) are there any suggestions to what I should have done or should do before it's too late?
    Thanks in advance.
    Steve

Default Re: inspection

I recommend getting an EAA technical counselor to look over the plane. This should provide a good set of eyes, usually free and typically includes a document stating it was done (looks good to the DAR or FAA inspector).
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Having just gone through the process I can offer what I discovered. The FAA does not charge for the A/W inspection. When I called the office, FSDO in Houston, they were very helpful and were available to do the inspection 3 weeks after I called. I heard horror stories about having to wait 6 months but it was not the case for me. However, I ended up using a DAR just because of scheduling conflicts. I would not hesitate one second to use the FAA for a free inspection. Mine cost $500.

What I did and what I'd recommend is that before the A/W inspection, have anyone who knows anything about airplanes look at your project. Even better if you have access to another Kitfox builder and definately an EAA counselor. The more eyes, the better. You don't have to take everyone's advise, but if everyone says the same thing about a certain "whatever" not looking right, there is a good chance that you need to address that "whatever".

I looked into the "during the build inspections" and while they are recommend by the EAA, they are not required. However, after learning about them, I would recommend the "inspections" to anyone who has access to an EAA Tech Counselor and I would do them if I ever built again. Once again, the more eyes, the better.

Hope that helps.

Jerry

Thanks for the replies. I have hesitated joining the "local" EAA chapter because it is an hour and a half drive from here. I know that the benefits would probably out weigh that but I also work the graveyard shift. My commute is a mere 45 miles each way. Again I know, waaa waaa waaa. Quit sniveling and just do it. For now I will just read these forums and ask questions. There seems to be an abundance of information being shared here.
    And how could I go wrong with something called TeamKitfox.com?

Steve

I have not joined my local EAA chapter but that had no bearing on using an EAA tech counselor. I am fairly confident you can find the nearest counselor on the EAA website.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 09-20-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Thanks Dorsal, I will try that.
    Steve

On my present build ,,(which is not a kitfox) but,..I have a reciept for every piece of the plane for materials and every component purchased,.basically my "Bill of Sale" I already have N numbers reserved for the plane ,..I did this so I do not have to actually pay tax on the plane until it's actually flying ,..but I have the numbers that I want N-859CB,..it's $10 a year to reserve numbers,..cheaper then the tax each year on the plane ,
    I have 3 A&P's ( they are my neighbors/friends) look at each phase of my build and an AI with the 3 A&P's check it out once that phase is completed.
    Keep an open line of communication with the FAA or DAR your using ,..it starts a repour ,.... it's better to communicate your plans concerning the build,..send them photo's,..call them once a month or so to keep them up to speed on progress,..not saying this is a must ,..builders preference, But I plan on building more planes when I get done with this one ,..and hopefully my next is a kitfox