Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Average Costs

Default Re: Average Costs

Anyone have an idea on insurance for a low time newbie pilot? Is a KitFox good for a newbie pilot?

Annuals on a certified plane every year are all about how you maintain your plane. To say that an annual will cost XXX each year is not really being honest with yourself. A plane is kind of like a boat. All through the year you are doing little things here and there to maintain it, the nickle and dime stuff, but every 6 or 8 yrs you better be ready to dig in your pockets for the big ticket items.

Alot has to do with how you take care of your plane. If you do nothing but gas it up and fly the crap out of it all year, then be ready for a big hit come annual time. If you maintain it and keep up on the little things, it can easily prevent a huge cost down the road. My last inspection done by the AI was under a hundred bucks.. hardly worth his time to come look at my plane. We ended up trading out R/C stuff for it (I gave him a heck of a bonus).

To say that an annual at Cessna will be 2500 is kinda bunk.. They may charge 2500 for a basic annual, but then comes the additional parts and labor that rack up VERY fast!

Over the last 15 years, my 1975 Skyhawk II annuals cost $250. I did all the work and the IA did the inspection, AD research and log books. Insurance was $1200 per year and hangar was $1700 per year.

Pretty cheap hangar rent
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Travis,

I just got insurance on my recently completed KF IV. I am a low time pilot too. It costs, $1496 a year through Falcon. You can do payments for a small fee. My policy is full coverage with hull valued at $28,000. The coverage is somewhat reduced during phase one but kicks in fully afterwards.

A Cessna 172 vs. a KITFOX????? What's there to compare?