Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vortex generators, slow the plane down?

Default Re: Vortex generators, slow the plane down?

I'm with Nick and also did not indend to offend, the VG's just looked way to far back and the spacing seemed off that is why I sent pics of mine. They by the kit NW Aero LLC start at 5" back from the leading edge. It may be the VG kit and there design that just isn't working for you on the Fox. As I said Mine did wonders.
    BigJohn
    Kitfox 5 Outback
    Rotax 912ULS With 1622cc Big Torque Zipper Conversion

Youtube BigJohn655
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BigJohn655

SPOT LINK:
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...OgrFSDFu8qvG6Q

For the "what it's worth" dept. I measured how far back the vg's were from the leading edge and it was 5 inches. This was also done with a framing square.

Dick

installed VGs over the weekend 3.75 back, Wow, new airplane!!

In what ways did you notice a change?

When I installed the VG's on mine, I talked to the manufacture and he said to include the flaperons for the over all width of the wing. After talking to several others, I think that including the flaperons for the wing cord is not correct as they are slung below the wing and are in effect thier "own wing". The 3.75" is alot more inline with where they should be versus the 5" that myself and others have used.

I have flown alot of different supercubs with several different VG's and some STC's call for them to be alot further back on the wing than others. By far the most difference you can tell on a cub is the ones with the VG's closest to the wing leading edge, however, you have to get the nose at a rediculously high AOA to really get the full benifit and most people wont fly it that nose high cause you cant see where the heck your going.

On my old pacer with VG's on the wing and tail I could fly it around at 35 MPH with lots of power but the deck angle was pretty stupid, however, flying a pacer on floats with a final approach speed at 50 MPH was very nice!

very stable at low speed, still testing, will let u know more after test.