Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox SS won't start

Default Re: Kitfox SS won't start

I've been reading and hoping. I have never been stranded away from home and can't imagine.

A thought. Another thing I can't imagine is that a single bad float will prevent an engine from even coughing on an attempted start. I wonder if all the effort diagnosing the problem and the fixes didn't jostle something elsewhere. Just hoping that the fix was the real fix needed.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Good point Lowell, you would think it would at least try to start on the side with the good carb. Jim Chuk

Paul I would like to know when you put the new plugs in? Was this before you got it running or had you gotten it running and then put them in? I and a friend of mine have both had issues like this where it was running well and the next time we tried to start it, nothing but cranking. Both times we put in new plugs and she ran as expected, so we have determined that once the plug gap gets to a larger gap from use, there comes a point where they just will not fire. Glad you got her going.

I put new plugs in, before I got it runn. I doubt the old plug had more than 25 hours on them. I changed them at my last annual, and last summer I fractured my femur which kept grounded me for about 4 months.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Well I have made it to Tallahassee Florida. Again it won't start. I believe my spraig clutch (Spelling???) gave up. The starter engages and immediately disengages. I suspect I damaged it while trying to start it. I'm sitting in the airport terminal and will be flying via American Airlines back to Dallas to pick up my Pick-up Truck so I can get a Trailer to haul it to Sebring. I have the wing stow brackets coming should be there this afternoon, maybe tomorrow.

I'm tired of looking for a truck to rent, most rental companies will refuse to rent you a truck to haul someone else's trailer. I'm planning on trailering the plane to Lockwood, and leave it for them to repair.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul,
    Sorry to hear of all your trials and tribulations. To help put it into perspective though, you're way better off than if you had an in flight engine out. Nobody needs that kind of adrenaline rush. Hang in there and you'll get your Foxy fixed.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post
    Paul,
    ...you're way better off than if you had an in flight engine out. Nobody needs that kind of adrenaline rush. Hang in there and you'll get your Foxy fixed.
    Totally agree.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

I was talking with the Chief Mechanic. He had said that it could do serious damage to the back of the engine if it came apart in flight. That is when I said enough is enough. The good thing I'm alive, and I don't have to go to work and tell my boss I have to take time off, like a lot of you.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

What do you want for it!

I wanted to tell about the shinning light from this adventure. I flew home last night to get my truck and the Wing tow kit. This morning after I got up, I got a call from Coley, checking on me and how the plane was running. I was really surprised to hear from him, and his concern. He reminded me that the Kickback I was seeing in the prop concerned him and he said I should have Lockwood or Ronnie at Southern MS Rotax check it out. It is not often you run across someone that nice, & concerned with someone’s welfare. If you are ever find yourself broken down in Mississippi, and need some help Call Coley (601) 573-7617, or Ronnie Smith a great couple of people If you are ever at Southern MS Rotax, give his big black Labrador some attention.

Most Doctors don’t even call to see how you are doing after surgery!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas