Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High EGT?

Default Re: High EGT?

It has 240 hours total time on it. The plane has sat most of its life.

yes you need more pitch in the prop.. a ground adjustable or a prop pitched more between 11 and 13
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

The 1st thing I would check is the gear ratio in your B box - the B was available in a 2, 2.24 and 2.58. If the 582 came out of a different application, you might have an inappropriate ratio to start with for your prop.

How many hours on the engine total? and/or since last overhaul? Any upgrades/mods? All service bulletins done?

I would also check to see if rpm is reading accurately and find a way to read (at least temporarily) egt and cht from each cylinder (you need to be able to compare them) and also be able to read the coinciding coolant temp.

I thought the older 582's were rated for 6400 max. 5 min and 6000 continuous? I'd probably check that too, with Lockwood based on your serial number. They may also be able to tell you who originally bought it and for what application and if it has been overhauled (unless of course you already know the history).

Greg

at 240 she is broke in..if she had sat,..did you decarb the pistons and check the ring groves..one downfall of having the oil/gas mix is the decarb and the rings can get gummed up if its set for awhile,..I used sea foam additive with my 2 cycles,,it helps keep things clean
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Thanks Greg! its a 2.58 ratio. The total time is 240 hours. And it was built in Ohio, and sold to the guy that i bought it from. But from everything i have redone on the plane, the original builder didn't do a very good job with much! So i wouldn't be surprised if he just threw some stuff on there that wasn't exactly right, such as the prop. Mine and my buddies are the same year, and they both redline at 6800rpm. Which is right where I'm at.

I cleaned the carbs, but the guy that i bought it from flew the plane around for a couple years, but stayed close to his home airport in Kentucky. It runs fine, just doesn't have the performance it should, and the egt problem. The fastest it has ever gone since i have had it was 65, and that was with my friend flying it who is a more experienced pilot. Everything to me is pointing to the prop, but i want to make sure before i make the 800-1000$ investment

I have a 3 blade GSC thinking its a 68" that I'm not using..cant remember if it's a left or right at the moment,..believe it or not floats will give you more speed..they have for me added about 5mph to cruise
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

#1 Question - What kind of tachometer are you using?

Analog tachs are notoriously inaccurate on 582s. Get yourself a tiny-tach to verify you are getting the RPMs you need.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Im willing to bet you put a ground adjustable ot a higher pitched prop on her and maybe some fine tuning once you pitch her up on the carb you can bring your EGT down,,if your buddy is willing..see if he will let you try his prop
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

mine was 2:58 reduction set at 11.5 pitch for stol my cruise was 75/80 depending solo or pax
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL