Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High EGT?

Default High EGT?

I have a Kitfox 2 with a 582 Grey head. 66" GSC prop (not adjustable), with a B gearbox. Ever since i have owned the plane, i have had high exhaust gas temps. I have the carbs set at full rich, and the main jet is 165. My rpm doesn't exceed 6,800, but no matter if I'm at full power or at cruise, my EGT gets up to 12. Also, my plane only flies at 55-65mph indicated. Is this telling me that i am not loading the engine enough and i need a new prop?
    Any other information that may be needed i can get! I appreciate the input!

Default Re: High EGT?

2 blade or 3,..you should get closer to 75-80 pitch should be around 11 to 13 degree's the 582 will have between 4500 and 5000 rpm a "hot spot" I tried to stay out of that range with my 582,...if your getting those temps through out the RPM range it might be your sender or gauge,..what are the CHT readings after it's reached 1200 EGT?
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I don't have a CHT gauge. So I'm not positive. I only have the water temp and EGT. My prop is a 3 blade, and i believe its fixed at about 9 or 10 degrees. Generally i cruise at 5500-5800 rpm and the EGT doesn't change. If i pitch up, and add some power to load the motor, i can get the EGT down momentarily, but it goes right back up when i level back out

your pitch should be more between 11 and 13,..mine ran around 1050 EGT 350 CHT water temp at 175/180 depending on outside air,..my elevation was 450 at field,..I stayed below 5000,..what is your static RPM ?
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

When i ground tested everything, it ran up to 6500rpm i believe. Water Temp stays well within range.

6500 is about right,.. but your cruise should be higher,..your water temp won't respond quick enough if your EGT's climb rapidly,..even the CHT wouldn't if you had one,,but prolonged higher EGT would raise the CHT,. have you got the EGT on front or rear cylinder? have you got the carb needles set on the same notch front and rear?
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

It has dual EGT probes. Both run the same, all the way up to 12. And the needles are both set full rich in the carbs

if I remember right I was closer to 6200 or 6300 rpm static
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Does it sound like maybe my prop just isn't right? Maybe if i went to a 3 blade ground adjustable prop it would solve all my problems? I don't know how else to get the performance out of it that i should be getting. My friend has the same plane, except his is on amphibious floats, and his plane flies faster than mine, even with all the drag. The only differences between the planes, other than the floats, is the gear box and prop. He is running a C gear box, and a 68" 3 blade Warp Drive prop. I feel that with mine not having all the drag of the floats, mine should perform much better.

the 2 strokes like I mentioned have "hot spots" in the upper RPM range,..you might have to give more pitch then reset the needles a notch or 2,.. how many hrs on your 582 now?
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL