Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Ops

Default Re: Cold Weather Ops

Here's my solution, for my IO-240B (which HATES cold weather):

Cobbled space heater with dryer vent hose stuck in the cowl. I usually leave it run with thermostat
    set on low in the hangar. This is the best solution and
    I get oil temp almost as soon as I start the engine

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FelAMgodlC8AXQ

If I don't leave it running, then it will get the IO-240B up to starting temp
    even down to zero degree temps in about an hour of preheat.

I also have high current quick connect fitting on the passenger side by
    the instrument panel and drop an old car battery with matching quick
    connect on the passenger side floor for initial start on cold days. I have
    an odyssey PC680, but the IO-240 can really stress it in cold weather.
    The car battery gets it cranking almost like a car engine in cold weather.

Usually I don't need the battery though if the engine is well preheated.

I flew a Diamond a year or so ago in winter with an IO-240, and it was
    nearly impossible to start it's IO-240 in the cold. I could probably hand prop
    it faster than the starter rolled. This was on a 20 something day.

I started my engine when it was 18 Degrees outside without a heated. When I did the Oil pressure was very high. It seemed to take forever for the engine to warm up, I wouldn’t increase RPM over 1800 to protect the engine, put on the Carb Heat to pump the Exhaust heat back into the engine. I Really didn’t like doing it, but at the time I didn’t have a heater at the airport.

I was thinking of Cobbling together a space heater with some 4 inch ducting, but being in Texas it is more than I need. I decided to use an old used Hair Drier, and I bought a large diameter shop vac hose, and a little duct tape. I have a 2” X 6” Heat Strip on the bottom of my Oil Cooler. It works great. In fact the Hair Drier is actually more then enough. I am going to try opening the Oil Access Door and sticking the Hose in there, that way it will blow directly on the Oil Tank. I would bet that will speed up the process.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I found that the best way to start my 912uls may be a bit different.

when I first got my engine and tried to start it, it would buck like crazy. I believe there is a soft start thing out there.

But o stevie has to find another way.

I have my idle down to where it will shut off the engine. I've done it at 500rpm. so that will work also. No I don't let the engine buck and fart that low. I just maintain 1800 normally.

My reason for such a low idle helps for starting, shutting down, and dropping out of the sky and having engine braking

for the starting what I will do is turn off the mags(I have separate switches from the start switch. I pull the choke. than I crank the engine with mags off and count to about 3, like 1000 1 and so forth. than I will keep the idle off and turn on the mags. now I will hit the starter, sometimes it will kick, I let it, than I slowly raise the idle and it purs like a kitty.

what I do. works for me.

Oh and I preheat the engine under 65 degrees. I leave it on 24/7 thinks it's summer that way

Careful with the hair dryer and plastic vacuum hose idea. That looks like a fire looking for a place to happen.

Up here where it's actually cold (Do you really preheat at 65°? that's summer for us... ) I use a small "cube heater". I rigged it up on the top of an old work light stand and let it blow through the front opening of the cowl. There is a safety over heat protection in the heater so it shuts off if it gets too hot. I put a blanket over the cowl to contain the heat. With this on at 10°F outside, I can be ready to go after an hour of heating, with an oil temp of 70° or better.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I use the cube heater and some dryer duct. The temp can be adjusted to whatever you need. I use a light timer so it kicks on about 2 or 3 hours before I go.
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

Only problem with hairdryers are they burn out fast. I've used up several
    during fiberglass projects the typical milkhouse heater seems to last longer.
    The hairdryer idea has appeal though for compact size though.

question..ok after seeing cubtractors pre heater,,how many are going to copy?? ( as I raise both hands)
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I use it for about 30 minutes while I preflight the plane in the hanger, I can watch it. The whole time, I plan on changing it to dryer duct. I was trying it to see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Careful with the hair dryer and plastic vacuum hose idea. That looks like a fire looking for a place to happen.

Up here where it's actually cold (Do you really preheat at 65°? that's summer for us... )
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

No ducts. Easy-Peasy…
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I fix a heater (air 2000w) behind my watercooler (582). The hot air flow through the cooler and after that inside the cowling. After 30 minutes all watertubes (rubber & brass) are more than handwarm. After 45 Minutes the brass are hot.

Olaf