Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where Did You Fly Today?

Default Where Did You Fly Today?

I couldn't find a good place to post this. I am thinking we need a new sub-section under the Reports & Reviews, called "Where Did You Fly Today?" for reports about what you did, where you went that is not realy a Trip Report. What do you all think?

I only put 0.5 hours on the HOBBS today, but man, what a flight! I have been trying to schedule some flying time for myself lately. Most of my business appointments take about 2 hours and I got to thinking, "I should schedule an appointment 1 or 2 days per week just for myself", so I tried it this week. I prescheduled two appoinments for me, one on one day and another on another day. Both "appointments" were great, but today's was outstanding. I fired up old 85DD, called Ground Control, gave them all the necessary prelims and requested, "Taxi to the dirt strip and remain in the pattern". Got clearance, taxied out, did my runup and called the tower for take-off clearance, requesting stop and goes on the dirt strip. After I took-off I was immediately cleared to do an early right turn, left tear drop and land the opposite direction on the dirt strip. I've never had that happen before, but let me digress to yesterday's "appointment" so you will understand today's thrill. Yes, we are having a great flying weather week. Today it was 70 degrees, variable 4 mph winds, perfectly clear skys and bright sunshine! But back to yesterday.

Yesterday I had a very nice leisurely flight. When returning to the airport I called the tower and was told to enter a straight in approach for runway 16 and call 2 miles out, which I did. I was then told to enter a right base for runway 21, which I did. Just as I was about to turn final for runway 21, the tower called again, requesting I "fly to the mountain road and do a 270 degree left turn, then enter a right downwind for runway 34", which I also did (mountain road is about 3 miles east of the airport). You guessed it, when I returned and began to enter the right downwind for runway 34, the tower called again requesing i do a 360 before entering the downwind. I did, then entered the downwind for 34. Then, the tower called again saying, "keep the downwind in tight". Right, don't I always do that? I mean, come on, I'm flying a Kitfox! I responded and continued on the downwind thinking, "OK, I'm all done flying now". But as I approached abeam the numbers for runway 34, the tower called again! This time they said there was a lot of traffic (duh!) and could I execute an early base turn and final. I responded politely, "early base turn, 5DD", and banked that baby in! I mean to tell you I threw old 85DD into a full slip desending at 1,700 ft per minute, straightened her out at the thresshold landing on the numbers and she was all done flying. I had to power up to get to the first taxiway turnoff. But, again as I approached the first turnoff and started to head to that side of the runway I did notice a rather large business jet taxiing on the same taxiway straight at me. Tower, "Kitfox 85DD continue taxing runway 34 to Charlie, Charlie to the ramp, monitor ground point 7". I responded and taxied for another 30 seconds down runway 34 to taxiway Charlie, made my turn, passed the hold-short line and hit the flip-flop on my radio to ground control. Ground control came on the radio, "Kitfox 85DD thanks so much for your help today. We had an unusual amount of traffic, probably due to the good weather". I responded with the perverbial, "No problem, and thanks for the dance!" Ground controll said, "We'll make it up to you." I went on my way thinking nothing more about it, but I was kind of proud to have a plane that could manouver like a bird, and a tower that knew me well enough to ask for the help they apparently needed. End of appointment one.

So, TODAY, appointment two was the payback. I wasn't even thinking about it, but it was the same tower controller as yesterday and he was ready for me to get a chance to play! Let see, where was I? Oh, yeah, so there I am, taking off today and I get the clearance for the tear drop and return landing. So that's exactly what I did, hit my mark on the dirt strip, stopped and took off. Well, as soon as I took off the tower called, "Kitfox 85DD cleared for an early turn out, right or left turn, your choice and a teardrop back to the dirt strip, at your discretion, at your own risk". Immediately I replied, "early left turn, right tear drop for the dirt strip, at my own risk", and away I went, looking out the top of the turtle deck as I made a climbing tear drop turn, then entering a descending turn to complete the tear drop once I had reach the 1,000 ft AGL required pattern altitude, desending down the opposite side of the tear drop full flaps in a full slip to the dirt strip, hitting my mark and coming to a complete stop on the short half of the strip. Then, full power, nose up, half flaps, then yanking full flaps and lift off, blead the flaps while climbing, right early turn out, into the tear drop, look out the top of the turtle deck hitting the 1,000 AGL mark, turn and push the nose down, extend flaps, into a full slip, hit my mark, stop, go again, and on-and-on and on for a total of 8 take-offs and landings. Total time on the hobbs? 0.5 hrs hangar to hangar. Man, was I tired. And yes, I did thank the tower for "letting me play today!".

Well, it was such a great flying "appoinment" I just had to tell someone, and all of you are the someones! Thanks for listening. (ah, yes. The Kitfox grin)
    Last edited by SkySteve; 10-23-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Default Re: Where Did You Fly Today?

Awesome but sounds like your just having too much fun lol if there is such a thing ha ha
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Great idea and a wonderful way to to start it all off. Thanks for the short ride.

Steve,
    EXCELLENT thread idea, and first post!

I am painting the left wing today with good ole' Poly Tone white... 'suppose if I took off my respirator I could fly my way to heaven... I think that the fumes would make an angel out of ya REAL QUICK!!
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Steve, - that was way cool! Good story. Wish we had that leeway here - airspace is always way to busy!

Maybe under the reports section, titled "Snippets of Kitfox Experiences"?

Greg

Thanks for the great write up Steve.

It's always nice when a tower crew finally figures out what these little aircraft can really do in the pattern.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Then, full power, nose up, half flaps, then yanking full flaps and lift off, blead the flaps while climbing, right early turn out, into the tear drop, look out the top of the turtle deck hitting the 1,000 AGL mark, turn and push the nose down, extend flaps, into a full slip,

Wow , a flap user -- Do you find they help much on a the early models?

Good story - only differance is mine is 150 feet from my house.

I flew around the patch today, M48 to K33 then over by Tbn then back home to M48,took about n hour, a little bumpy below 3500 other then that a pleasant flight, but i did figure out i need to get a heater installed, got most of the parts, just need to do it now , and i have some air coming in around the firewall, funny how you dont notice it until its COLD out
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Chase,
    Yes, the heater is important. Like others have said, plugging holes is an important part of that. I use foam strips above the doors and in the front side vents but still seem to have cold air coming in. But I do have a heater, do use it and it does help. Someone wears a heated motorcycle vest which sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks for adding to the thread.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

Dave, yes I use flaps all the time, both taking off and landing. Without flaps my takeoff speed seems to be around 40 mph. Half flaps around 35 mph, full flaps about the same. However, if I set my flaps at half, then quickly pull to full flaps when I hit 30 mph my plane jumps off the ground. I lower the nose and hold it there in ground effect for a couple of seconds while picking up speed and bleeding the flaps off and I can then pull back on the stick and climb quite rapidly. I also pull back immediately on the stick as I first power up and the nose wheel comes right off the ground. I hold it there while gaining speed. Yes, I fly in nose wheel configuration and do a lot of off airport take offs and landings on lake beds; grass & dirt airstrips; ranch dirt roads; and on the desert floor between the sage brush.

And Dave, we are all jealous of your airstrip. I'm wirking in one, man. Hoping to have it operational in 2014. And one end of it will be within 50 ft of my house!
    Last edited by SkySteve; 10-25-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page