Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 87 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Oz build SS7

Default Oz build SS7

Hello all,

Ross here from Mt Beauty, Australia where we are just starting work on our kit that arrived a week ago. Mt Beauty is in Victoria and is a small town (3000 people) with a nice little airfield. the local council has allowed us to build a 12mx15m hanger in which we (my wife Gayle and I) are undertaking the project.

A few things up front. I have been reading and benefiting from the many posts here for many months - a lot of collective wisdom and experience that I really appreciate you all sharing. So, as we imagine we are going to have a lot of questions as we progress, we think it is only fair to share our project with others who may come after us - not much wisdom, just experiences of finding our way and learning!

We decided on the Kitfox after deciding to sell our Mooney M20J earlier this year. We really liked that aircraft and it was great to fly - and fast! However, as we are getting older, costs of GA are for ever increasing, and we increasingly enjoy the low and slow, it was time for a change. After a lot of online research we concluded the Kitfox SS7 was the best fit for our mission. To confirm that, I visited the factory in the US earlier this year which confirmed my positive thoughts about the company and the product. I also flew with Paul Leaderbrand for a few hours in the backcountry that also confirmed the plane was the right 'fit' for the type of flying we want to do. So thats how we go to this stage.

We will try to make regular updates here and welcome comments and tips from all of you. So we will start with a few photos and descriptions of the project so far. Thanks in advance to all of you for what we know will be the generous sharing of your experiences and thoughts. cheers Ross and Gayle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Oz build SS7 - From US to OZ- the logistics!

Ok, the first post worked so thought it might be useful to add a few shorts notes re the logistics of getting the kit home. It is easy to forget that part but it was a learning curve in itself. Debra from Kitfox was fantastic and getting a good quote for transport from Homedale to Melbourne in OZ, via LA and Auckland NZ. We engaged a freight logistics company in Melbourne to receive the box and get it through customs and port - not a cheap exercise but made relatively painless by the company.

We decided to go and pick it up at the docks in Melbourne so it was a matter of finding a suitable trailer - a friend came to the party with his car carrying trailer that was 17ft (will use these antiquated measurements here for the sake of our US friends!) - conveniently the same length as the box! Strapped it down well and drove the 400km home.

Wink Re: Oz build SS7

Awesome first config trike or tail dragger?
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Default Re: Oz build SS7

wow! that was quick! I am trying to work out how to post multiply photos to the same post and descriptions on them.

It is tail dragger.

more pics coming Mr Pilot

Default Oz build SS7 - getting it off and uppacking

Installed lifting straps and a 2 ton chain block in the hanger - We thought it would be a useful think to have anyway and it wan't that expensive.

Great on the quick build option , my model 5's builder did the same
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Default Oz build SS7 - General workshop setup

We have built a workbench along one wall with tools as well as a sink - we don't have mains electricity at the hanger so we have installed a 6KVA diesel generator at the rear of the hanger for lights and power when needed. we also have a 3000lt water tank for tea and coffee and an old fridge for a beer at the end of the day! Along another wall we build some good shelving and also a couple of mobile workbenches on wheels which are proving to be a great investment already.

Default Oz build SS7- Reaming bearing attachments on HS

WEll, as one of the first tasks after taking inventory (only a couple of bolts missing) this one was a nice little challenge! Our solution was to grind a square on the shank of the reamer so we could use an open ended spanner to turn it while Gayle applied forward pressure with a bar - not the padding to protect the powder coating.
    Last edited by rosslr; 10-20-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: duplicate photo

Since summer is on its way for you, that cold beer will be just dessert
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Ross,
    Sounds like you have done your homework. Best wishes on your project. Oz - one of my favorite places, but only been to Sydney.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel