Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: increasing gross

Default Re: increasing gross

Love the info this forum supplies, new member and new owner of a model 1. My model 1 has .065 spars. I was thinking of clipping the wings to increase gross and also considering beefing up the strut carry through tube and struts themselves. But what about the attach points of the wing struts? Sorry to but in on your thread but thought this might be a consideration for both of us. Happy Thanksgiving Everybody

does anyone have info on the model 1 that had a fuselage failure ..
    was not too widely known.. very early tube between the gear was too light.

The AVID STOL wing is essentially the same length as the Kitfox Speedster, so if you do clip the wings in your Kitfox the difference won't be as noticeable as one might think. Many people have found over the years that they like their Kitfox better with the short wing. The only time it won't work out all that well is if you decide to fly floats, or you have a Kitfox that is very heavy to begin with.

If I had a Model 3 and wanted to increase the ability to haul more I would just put on the larger 1200 wing struts, make a few gussets to reinforce the carry through spars in the cabin, and then build a 4130 flat "strap" that will go on the bottom of the fuselage between the wing strut attachments (providing significant additional strength to support the tension when the wing are loaded positively). And last, Id' put on one of the newer landing gears that are available. And if I did decide to cut down the wing, I'd make use of the old tips by making them be quick install wing extensions. That way I'd always have the long wing if I needed (or wanted) it.

Many stock Model 3's over the years have been flown on floats, and almost always they are flown over 1200 lbs. So while the factory can't tell you it is ok, those 3's on floats prove the Kitfox is stronger than one would think. And as far as I know, I've never heard of a failure of a Model 3 due to overloading. It might be worth your while to check NTSB data on that to be sure...

Quote Originally Posted by av8rps View Post
    The AVID STOL wing is essentially the same length as the Kitfox Speedster, so if you do clip the wings in your Kitfox the difference won't be as noticeable as one might think. Many people have found over the years that they like their Kitfox better with the short wing. The only time it won't work out all that well is if you decide to fly floats, or you have a Kitfox that is very heavy to begin with.

If I had a Model 3 and wanted to increase the ability to haul more I would just put on the larger 1200 wing struts, make a few gussets to reinforce the carry through spars in the cabin, and then build a 4130 flat "strap" that will go on the bottom of the fuselage between the wing strut attachments (providing significant additional strength to support the tension when the wing are loaded positively). And last, Id' put on one of the newer landing gears that are available. And if I did decide to cut down the wing, I'd make use of the old tips by making them be quick install wing extensions. That way I'd always have the long wing if I needed (or wanted) it.

Many stock Model 3's over the years have been flown on floats, and almost always they are flown over 1200 lbs. So while the factory can't tell you it is ok, those 3's on floats prove the Kitfox is stronger than one would think. And as far as I know, I've never heard of a failure of a Model 3 due to overloading. It might be worth your while to check NTSB data on that to be sure...

Good points Paul, and I wil add thast many 1050 Kitfox have been flown on float s over 1400 lbs.

So ask yourself-- would you want to start with a 600 lb plane and fly it at 1400 lbs

OR
    a 1000 lb Kitfox and fly it at 1800 to 2300 lb gross?

Simple solutiohn build em light ands enjoy what they got to offer.