Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: aviator79's build

Default Re: aviator79's build

Looks like your making great progress Brian. Wish I was that far along, no wait, I’m having a blast building!

Joe Gallagher

Building SS7

Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fox View Post
    Looks like your making great progress Brian......
    Hay Joe, Are you building at the Airport? I need to swing by and check out your progress.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Scott
    No, I have a shop at my home about nine miles from the airport.
    I will be opening a web site to document the build. I should have the site up and running tomorrow.
    If you would like to take a first hand look I could pick you up at SPB or you could drive out.
    I picked up my kit in July but I was still working six days a week and trying to get another home project completed before the rain set in. I’m retired now so much of my time will be spent in the shop.
    So far I almost have the horizontal stabilizer and elevator ready to cover plus the control column is assembled.

I’m enjoying the project.

Default Some weeks are better than others...

I try not to set target dates but I hope this time next week I'll have the cowls painted and the prop installed and tested....
    Here's what I get for that comment:

DHL isn't quite sure where half of my propeller is. It's not lost yet, per se, but it's not exactly accounted for either.

Then, about half way through my second coat of orange on the cowls, side covers, wingtips, and hubcaps, my compressor stopped compressing. I live in a small town where running out and buying a compressor real quick isn't an option. I tried, but the hardware store only had one inadequate compressor. I'm going to try to troubleshoot the compressor, but it's a Harbor Freight that's kind of janky anyway. It's not worth putting too much effort into.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Oh man, Sorry to hear that Brian. I have learned to quit setting timelines as well. Most of my down time now is because I kinda feel the build is over and all I have left are things that I don't find that entertaining. As long as people keep posting Youtube vids of Kitfoxes flying I should be able to get this done in the hopes of joining them in the air. I should have been able to make the High Sierra Fly In. I always think how big a bummer it would be to live out in the country where you just can't drive down the street for stuff. I am very fortunate in that regard. Jeeze, If I wanted a weather radar for my plane I could just drive a few miles and find one.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I haven't updated in awhile. My pace has been slower the last month, but progress is still steady.

I'm finally finished with the cowls. They are painted and the fasteners are all installed. I really took my time making sure the fasteners were lined up well, and it paid off. On our club Cardinal, I dread oil changes just because of how difficult it is to get the cowls on and off. I can take them on and off my Kitfox by myself, and it's actually pretty easy.

I applied my decals. I had a few to put on the instrument panel (most of them were silk-screened by Advanced Flight Systems). I also wasn't really happy with my tape lines for the white stripes. The colors bled into the white in a few places. So I taped over them with vinyl striping tape. It looks much cleaner now.

I installed fairings to my Horizontal Stab struts, and am currently in the process of doing the lift strut fairings. I got the external extrusion lines sanded out over the weekend. That was a bigger job than I anticipated.

I think I'll be ready to take it to the airport around the turn of the New Year. I will still have a laundry list of final assembly items to complete when I get it there.

--Brian
    Flying - S7SS

That's a real beauty Brian!
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Really nice job Brian, and I particularly like the Kitfox logo on the tail. I guess the winter weather will prevent a December 15 first flight ......

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    .........I also wasn't really happy with my tape lines for the white stripes. The colors bled into the white in a few places. So I taped over them with vinyl striping tape. It looks much cleaner now......
    This is an issue I’m concerned about as well. I am planning on having several stripes on my final paint scheme and Ross (Mt Beauty in Victoria, Aus) pointed this out to me some time back. The colour bleed seems to be an issue.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by David47 View Post
    Really nice job Brian, and I particularly like the Kitfox logo on the tail. I guess the winter weather will prevent a December 15 first flight ......

This is an issue I’m concerned about as well. I am planning on having several stripes on my final paint scheme and Ross (Mt Beauty in Victoria, Aus) pointed this out to me some time back. The colour bleed seems to be an issue.
    Hit the area with the base coat first and then with the colour. You’ll seal up the paint line with the base colour first then.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3