Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Opinions please

Default Opinions please

I'm new to your community and I'm looking for a 5 or 7.

The 912ULS seems like the better alternative to a 0-235? Because of weight? Longevity?

Default Re: Opinions please

Guppy, Welcome.
    I chose it (912ULS) for the power to weight ratio, I also wanted the engine with the most experience hours in this type of plane. There are many threads on this topic throughout the site and successful builds with the 0235. Are you planning to build or looking for one already flying.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by GuppyWN View Post
    The 912ULS seems like the better alternative to a 0-235? Because of weight?
    I agree completely! The performance with the 912ULS is really good. That said, I have not flown any other kitfoxes besides mine with the 912ULS.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Welcome GuppyWN. You're in Boise so I might assume you will be playing Kitfox in the back country at times where you guys live & breath density altitudes in the summer. The Rotax 912ULS is the best choice behind a turbo charged 914 Rotax. 914's are a little rare on used Kitfoxs but they are out there occasionally.
    Sounds like you are looking for a used Kitfox so don't forget about the model 6 in your search besides the 5's & 7's and S7SuperSports.
    If you are considering building then of course you're in about the best spot in the country for that with Kitfox Aircraft being you neighbors over at Homedale.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I drive a Series 6 with an IO-240 and like it a lot. I think the 912 has an edge on overall performance because of the weight of the IO-240 and O-235. I have only ever flown 2 Kitfoxes. A 5 and a 6 both with same engine.

All that said, I prefer traditional aircraft engines. Love that low rumble.

If I were looking for an airplane to last me into the Golden Years of retirement I would look to the newer light sport models or one that were registered with a light sport gross weight of 1320 or less. (mine, like most 5s and 6s, is not. Bummer)

If you are like me, and you build, you may have a hard time facing the idea of selling it. So go light sport. Option not available when I built.

If you are buying rather than building it will likely be easier for you to part with a non light sport if you have a need to go light sport in the future.

Good luck,
    Last edited by N981MS; 11-05-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

If I was buying a pre-built plane I'd look for the nicest built plane that made me
    happy. Then so long as it had "any" of the established engines in it, I'd buy that
    one.

The 912 can't do what the IO-240B can do, and it can't do what the 912 does.
    Just the same as the various other motors. They are all unique.

Regards,
    Jeff Hays N85AE IO-240B