Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: High EGT?

Default Re: High EGT?

Thanks! That actually crossed my mind today when i was looking at the 2 planes. Im just not sure if the B gear box can handle the 68" prop, from everything i read, you aren't supposed to put bigger than a 64" prop on a B gearbox, and mine is already at a 66". It seems to do fine, but I'm still new to all of this, and I'm not real positive on how all of these work
    And yes, it does have an Analog tach

Thanks for all the Info Chase! I was thinking a different prop was the way to go, i was going to go to a ground adjustable speed prop. I don't really need to add anything for take off, i am already off the ground in 300ish feet anyway. So if that goes up on not too worried! I want more performance at cruise than anything! I also figured if i got the right prop and it was adjusted correctly, it really wouldnt hurt my ground roll, if anything, it might improve it.

you get the right prop on her and set the pitch around 11/12 plus minus she will be off the ground shorter then 300' my best in my model 2 was 50' landing and 50' take off
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

That would be sweet! I was pretty happy with how fast it got off the ground compared to the Cessna 150! I am still a new pilot, and I'm very novice in the Kitfox, but I'm excited to continue to learn, and really get the plane to its full potential! I definitely do love the plane!

Could very well be that a new prop would help get those egt's down. If you can get them down, you really need to get your carbs off of "full rich" as its causing performance problems at the opposite end of the spectrum. To rich can cause fouling and poor engine performance very easily, to very rich and your plugs will eventually foul and it will stop running! You said "set for full rich" - does that mean you have the clip on the needle at the bottom slot?

What size are the jet needle, needle jet and idle jet? The main jet (165 is std. jetting) and that jet only controls the 75% to 100% throttle range. So to adjust the performance below that you need to have the needle jet, jet needle and clip position all correct for your most used density altitude and the air screw then adjusted to get the most efficient spark.

I've done plenty of these and had (not anymore) relied on the previous owner knowing what he was doing and found lots of things screwed up and most times ended up starting with all new parts at factory settings and adjusted from there. I've found jets drilled out and thought they were correct and weren't, causing me unnecessary days of trying to tune a carb that never could due to the unknown changes.

Also on the 2 strokes the fuel level in the bowl also affects rich and lean - if your floats aren't "floating" at the right height, that will also cause problems.

What do the ends of your spark plugs look like - wet or dry? Black, dark brown, light brown, grey, white? you can tell almost everything about how an engine is running by "reading" the plugs.

Also, Skypirates idea of Seafoam is right on - it works wonders. If you've been running full rich, you might have a fair amount of buildup. If in doubt though, pull the exhaust manifold and you can see everything. If it didn't clean up by running with Seafoam, it'll probably need a rebuild.

Greg

Thanks Greg! I will check all of that too! It was suggested to me that i may need to lean it back out with the needle valves. The idea of making sure everything is clean too! I will definitely pull the plugs and take at look at what has been going on. Hopefully i find good news and i can fix the problem with minor set backs!

Andy,

You may want to do all that before investing in a new prop. The 582 has a history of running hot with the stock needle jet (272) it may work better with a 274 or 276 - but I would want to know what is in there now for a baseline - idle jet size, needle jet size, jet needle size, clip position, main jet (known 165 - if not previously drilled), and how many turns out the air screw is from seated (never overtighten, just turned until it stops).

Also, it sounded a little bit like you were guessing on your prop pitch. Properly read, the pitch degree is measured at 75% of radius - 66" prop = 8.25" in from the tip. I'd verify what you've got so you can use that as a baseline.

Greg

That make sense! All of this Carb stuff is new to me. I have never gotten too involved in the carbs. The only way i know what my prop angle is was from putting the protractor on there 3/4 the way to the tip and taking a reading. And the protractor told me 9-10 degrees. Do you think that the carbs needing to be adjusted the way you're talking would affect all around performance? To where they may actually be holding me back at cruise performance as well?

Absolutely - yes! You want your carbs running just on the rich side of lean at idle, mid range and 3/4 to WOT. Many different combinations/adjustments/variations to get there.

Before digging into the carbs though. Pull your plugs and look at them. Note which hole they came out of and take 2 pictures of the ends - one from side showing the gap and one from the end down into the electrode well (noted in relation to the cylinder holes) and post here (before cleaning). Clean them, check the gap and reinstall in the same holes. Or better yet, replace them - checking the gap on the new ones - even pre-gapped plugs are many times incorrect.

If it's not bogging down, sputtering or cutting out, it's probably not as rich as you think, but actually could be lean in the mid-range - based on your egts.

Lets see what the plugs say!

Greg