Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: battery box

Default battery box

Hello everyone, I am installing the battery box on my Series 6. The battery is almost too big for the plastic box. I shoved the battery in as far as it would go and I played hell getting it back out! Has anyone else had this problem. Maybe sliting one of the corners maybe? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Patrick
    Series 6 Builder

Default Re: battery box

Build a better box out of reasonably thick aluminum, and fasten it well to the
    airframe. I made 4130 steel Adel style clamps for mine rather than aluminum.
    Search the forum for Battery Box, and look for Bruce Lina's pics from his battery
    box tearing loose during spin testing. You'll want to build a better box.

Regards,
    Jeff Hays

We had no problem it is tight, we decided to use the battery that came with the kit until it gave out, 2001 battery we put acid in and got the plane flying in 2009 and the battery is still going strong. here is a couple pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dj Series 6

Patrick,

Here is a photo which is not quite ideal because it is from the opposite side of the plane.....but you get the idea.

In this case I donated the original battery and plastic box to someone else and got an Odyssey battery. An aluminum box was fabricated and mounted in the same position the plastic box would have been. I prefer a metal box for this purpose.

Mostly I wanted to avoid the traditional lead acid battery with it's potential for acid spillage. The Odyssey battery can be mounted pretty much any way and anywhere a person wants to do it; although I opted for the traditional top up on the firewall.

Cheers,
    Dave Syverson,

KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN
    Attached Images Attached Images