Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tailwheel Springs

Default Tailwheel Springs

I just replaced my old 6" Maul tailwheel with a Matco WHLT-8L Light Weight 8 Inch Tailwheel. I really like the Matco. I also ordered new Tailwheel springs from Kitfox Aircraft. The new springs are at least 2" longer than the old ones and with the new tailwheel my plane really sits higher in the tail not to mention the wheel is farther back and sits under the trailing edge of the rudder. I'd like to cut the new spring off and drill a new hole. What does it take to drill into the springs?
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Default Re: Tailwheel Springs

Machinist hat=on

You will need at least a cobalt (if not carbide) drill, a drill press with vise and lots of cutting fluid to keep the drill and spring cool. I'd also suggest drilling a smaller pilot hole then stepping up to your final size.

/machinist hat
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Use a HSS four flute end mill in a vertical mill. It goes through spring steel easily,
    Contact me off list if you need someone with a mill.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

I have been thinking of doing the same thing on my Kitfox IV. I have the solid 5 inch wheel with double spring. It is very rough and does not absorb when landing on rocks (see photo).

My question is will an air filled tire lessen the bounce and what about takeoff? With a larger tire your angle of attack is less so does that have big effect on take off distance?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I emailed you John. Got no response.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Computer crash this last week. Lost all inbox messages. If you didn't get a response, try again.

Still happy to help.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Thumbs up Re: Tailwheel Springs

Hi, I put on the same tailwheel the original poster is talking about, the 8", dual fork, light weight Matco. It is alot smoother on taxing , I too was concerned about different heights and lengths the wheel sits about 2" further back and tail is about 1 1/2 " higher ,it's lighter than the old tailwheel. I had a solid 6" scott before. There would be no going back to that ! I have the aluminum one piece tailspring , that's different than what people have been talking about in this post.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I have built springs for my Avids, I got the steel from a local spring supplier. He had longer springs that I cut down to length and then bent with a press. When I asked about drilling the holes, he told me to drill at slow speed with a drill press, cutting oil would help. He did say not to do a pilot hole, as the drilling heats up the steel and makes it harder. Just drill it to the size you want right away. I took his advice and it worked. Take care, Jim Chuk

I want to thank all of you who have commented or added to this thread. And to John Pitkin a special thanks for his offer to help. I ran across a great site to explain tailwheel geometry. Take a look.

http://pierceaero.net/tws.php
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove