Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a S5 or newer near CA...

Default Re: Looking for a S5 or newer near CA...

Age 47.

Would love to find one on the east coast to sit in. Does anyone know of one around the Richmond, Virginia or Atlanta, GA area?

Door length is part of it, front to rear, just really tight, and , getting around the joystick.

If you use a removable pin at the bottom of the stick so it can be laid to the side it is so much easer to swing your legs in

I am probably saying what everyone already knows, but by far the easiest way to get into a Kitfox is, assuming on the pilot side, first back in and set your butt on the seat, then swing your right leg in over the stick, then last swing in your left leg. I have seen so many newbies try to first put their right leg in, then their butt, etc.-this just does not work well.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Correct, and at 6' 5" with the tires on Joes 7SS, I was able to do that, get my rear in first, as Joe showed me how, and then get my right leg in. the trick was with the joy stick, getting the left leg in. It's a tight fit, with my long legs. Joe is maybe 5'8" tall, and removed the 3" foam cushion first, before I tried getting in.

The rumor is that the rules for LSA are going to be modified to include aircraft like the C-172, so you might want to hold off on buying something with a gross weight of only 1320lbs.

Yep, I pretty much would only fly by myself. Much like how I drive. Now, it is seeming more and more impossible to buy a plane to take my pilot lessons in for a Sport Pilot license, and that I am bound to have to rent.

Hey Randy, when I first got in and out of the aircraft at Stick and Rudder, I had to be taught how to do it. Im only 5'4" 145#. I have all the room in the world
    When I am flying I will make good on the promise to fly with you. You made one very short attempt at getting in. You got in as I do but I feel that you could have made it with a bit more patience. You had it right with the Sardine comment though. Im not sure how comfy you would be if we had tried again with assistance or even doing as was suggested (removable pin to remove the stick). You will need bare bones cushion thickness that's for sure.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Instead of using a bolt to attach the stick, I used a self locking pin. The stick is detachable, making entrance and exit much easier. The wire harness has a little extra length to allow detachment. I don't bend as easily as I used to.

Oh, good suggestion.... Mr. Bill, on the detachable stick.

It was pretty late when we tried to get on in, and as Ed says, the attempt was brief. Maybe it is possible... I felt kind of guilty, Ed's boy had work to do that afternoon, and I was preventing him from making some money... so, it was a little hastened.

I can tell you I did fit in to a Sling 2, but the knees were close to the dash on it. The owner there at The Flight Factory in Torrance said they could modify the seats/pans and move them back so I would fit in the plane, but the weight factor was even closer on a Sling 2 than a KitFox 7 SS, I would have needed a female Flight Instructor in the 130 lb range or less, and 14 gallons of fuel, max, while taking flight lessons. I felt it was just too close to the limit, despite the plane being designed for 1520 Lbs. LSA keeps the limit down to 1320.

Quote Originally Posted by 896tr View Post
    Door length is part of it, front to rear, just really tight, and , getting around the joystick.

If you use a removable pin at the bottom of the stick so it can be laid to the side it is so much easer to swing your legs in
    Good point! Duly noted! Thanks for the suggestion!