Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools and Options

Default Tools and Options

I built, flew, and sold an RV10 some time ago and not expecting to build another plane I also sold all my tools. Now, in no small way thanks to a friend of mine I find myself with a KF on order. Thanks Darrel! So in preparation for the arrival of my kit next summer I have two preliminary questions:
    1 - Other than what is in the tool kit what tools have you found necessary or that would be nice to have?
    2 - What options did you get and wish you hadn't or what did you not get and wish you had?

Default Re: Tools and Options

1. Dremel tool-absolutely necessary
    Drill press
    Bench top sanding disc/belt

2. All the options offered
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hello. I see you are in Franktown, Co. I just completed my Kitfox and I live in Colorado Springs. There is another builder in Monument who is a friend of mine. If you have any questions or want to come see a build, let me know.

Eric
    Eric Joern
    Super Sport
    Flying!

There are lots of options that are not listed that you want to get. Parking brake, static port kit, Dynon/Garming pitot kit, autopilot kit (if your doing autopilot). One of the most handy tools I used\use is a cordless grinder with cutoff wheel. Used to cut laker leading edge, ribs, access panels, ect.

Thumbs up Re: Tools and Options

You'll be thanking me!!

Cheers,

Darrel

Inexpensive pneumatic rivet puller from Harbor Freight. Unless you have wreck it Ralph physique. And I really liked my 1/2 inch wide pneumatic belt sander DF4 mentioned
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

One option I got with my kit that I don’t think was worth the money is the optional rudder pedals. They looks nice and are supposed to be lighter but cost more than they are worth IMHO.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog

It's not a bad idea to go through the catalog to pick options instead of just the popular options listed on the order form. I kind of wish I'd done that as it would have saved a bit on shipping.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Yes Brian, there are many things in the catalog not listed on the order form; things that you will want. Write one check-easier to slip by the wife than a continuous stream of checks.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

On the flip side, there are options available that are not in the parts store or on the option list i.e. extended baggage sack. I was not aware of this option and asked what it would cost to exchange the standard one I bought. I will just say that I won’t be installing a factory extended cargo bag.
    Joe Gallagher
    Flying 7SS

http://frontierfox.home.blog