Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LED Landing lights

Default LED Landing lights

Hey everyone,

Daniel and I are designing a set of LED landing lights that fit in the cut out wingtip that Kitfox sells.

We think we have a fairly good setup but there are a few details to iron out.

The size is 3" by 2" which produces 3100 lumens at 35 watts and 2.5 amps with over 20000 candela. We think the weight will be in the 5 to 6 oz range.

This is quite a bit brighter than the Microsuns 1800 lumens.

I think we can put these together for under $500 for a pair (Compare $900 for Microsuns).

My questions for everyone is would anyone else be interested in them while we are making them?

Our last iron to kink out is making them more water resistant. These would also not have a wigwag feature built in, you would have to figure out our own relay for that or go through VP-X

Default Re: LED Landing lights

You can get an LED strobe, landing light, wig-wag controller from Crazed Pilot for a whooping 26 bucks.

You can get an LED strobe, landing light, wig-wag controller from Crazed Pilot for a whooping 26 bucks!
    Save your money. They didn't last long enough to make one flight.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Save your money. They didn't last long enough to make one flight.
    Well, maybe defective, wired incorrectly, over amped, shorted, who knows. I do know of several installations that have never had any issues. They've been selling them for a few years now.

Poorly made the housing fell apart then the lights stopped working. Like I say, junk. So was the GoPro cable I bought from them. It worked 3 times then stopped when the end that goes in the camera fell off.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post
    You can get an LED strobe, landing light, wig-wag controller from Crazed Pilot for a whooping 26 bucks!

http://www.crazedpilot.com/aircraft-...ag-controller/
    I bought these led lights with controller ,,, I could not bring myself to install them in my aircraft . You get what you pay for.

I went the Aeroled system , could not be happier
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

You do get what you pay for.
    I feel worse about the GoPro cable as that was the same price as many other sites charge for theirs.

I'm sure the guys at Crazed Pilot sell many great items everyday. They shipped my order extremely fast. I'll keep an eye on their site for other products.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I inquired about the CRAZEDpilot LED lights and found that the 26 LED lights were rated at 250 lumens each and the 48 LED lights were rated at 400 lumens each. The LED strobe controller they sell is rated at 5 amps so this maybe a option for the wigwag effect. I've mountain biked at night on trials and built/bought LED lamps for this purpose. They are quite bright (some lamps claim up to plus 7000 lumens) and these units are quite rugged. They get beat around pretty good on the trail as well as occasional crash to the ground as well as tree branches trying to remove them from the handle bars and helmet; they are still going strong. These might be a option to explore as they are relatively inexpensive. Most though are less than 12 volts requiring a regulator.

The LED strobe controller they sell is rated at 5 amps so this maybe a option for the wigwag effect
    I agree, my comments were regarding the controller only for wig-wag with other brand LED lights. I'm not sure if the other "dissatisfaction" was with the Crazed Pilot LED lights, controller or both. The controller is pretty simple, the likely cause of failures would be overload or reversing polarity (also true of any LED controller).

Hi josh...i order 3 led chip last week for making strobe..
    10watt ,900 lumen for 2.95$ each with driver..free shipping..
    And i order amd strobe module from superbright led...for 17$...
    This little led are very powerfull..and an lens reflector from alibaba...

It is not very expensive if it work...i will make some heating test ..